Dropping a Radiator (combi system)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've recently attempted to remove a radiator from the wall to decorate behind it. I switched off both valves and drained the rad (about 2 1/2 large buckets came off it). However I seemd to have drained the entire system from upstairs as the rads upstairs were full of air - is this normal?

I have since put the rad back on but its currently laying on its side allowing me to turn the rest of the heating on. (the rad on its side however remains off (as both valves are shut)

I have added water back into the system to system and bought pressure back to 2 bars, i've also bled the upstairs rads to remove the air

I recall seeing something about adding inhibitor - where should this be added?

Now then - I will need to put the rad back onto the wall - will I simply have to loosen the nuts either side and put the rad back on, tighten the nuts then open the valves - or so I need to do something else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
jmanjmanj said:
Now then - I will need to put the rad back onto the wall - will I simply have to loosen the nuts either side and put the rad back on, tighten the nuts then open the valves - or so I need to do something else?

Thanks
tighten nuts
open valves
bleed the rad

jmanjmanj said:
I recall seeing something about adding inhibitor - where should this be added?

Thanks
add inhibitor in the feed and expansion tank(small tank)

You'll have to add inhibitor into the top rad valve. Some inhibitors come with an adaptor to do this. Fernox?

You won't have feed/expansion tanks with a combi so don't worry about that. Your system is a sealed system under pressure, when you lose water you need to top it up at the combi itself using a fill in loop. The manual will explain this.

Do inhibitor part first though then top up to pressure as per the manual guidelines. Look at the "wiki's" on this site, one of them covers the above i think. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your inputs.

when you refer to the top radiator valve what do you mean?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back