Druggies - why do they exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hate druggies.

My daughter's a full-on one and I hate her for it. I love her, of course, but I hate the person that the drugs have made her become. We've had eight years of this with her and she's still only 22. We've spent ££s thousands on attempts at rehabilitation, paying to repair or replace stuff that either she or her drugged-up "mates" have broken, or sold to feed their digusting habit.

And, here we are, back at the same point where we have been countless times before: methodone, her mother giving up her job to try and get her back on track, same old, same old.

There has been no reason in her family life for her to have taken this course. She went to private school, didn't really want for anything, enjoyed the fruits of her two parents' hard labour over the years. She's just one of those drawn to the darkside.

I've reached the point where I've given up. Completely. She doesn't have to inject this shít to actually live, she has a four year old son who somehow survived leukaemia very early on in his life and, for that reason alone, she should be trying to give him a decent life, not one filled with countless foul-mouthed feckless individuals floating through her life, her opening her legs just to get a score. The last one moved in with her, was physically violent both to her and the boy: he took the locks off his door, called him a c**t, said get used to being in four walls as that's what's going to happen to you in later life, rammed his mouth with soap when he heard him swearing, yet did nothing to curb his language in front of him. I want to kill him. I want to kill her too, for what she is doing and allowing to be done, to herself, her family and, most importantly, that little boy, our grandson.

We tried to take him away from her, but were advised by lawyers that we would fall foul of the Hague Convention and get prosecuted ourselves. That is how much an ass the law in this country has become. The current thinking from "those who know best" is for the kids to stay with their drugged-up parents (I use the term loosely), so that they can run the risk of falling on needles, get hold of the drugs themselves, be left to fend for themselves whilst the "parents" are off their faces, so that they can listen and absorb all the foul-mouthed, drug-related conversations that take place, so that they can learn all the street words for drugs, so that they get to think that this is the way that life is lived. Yep, that makes perfect sense to me.

I told her to take an overdose the other day, as it's more or less inevitable that that is what will happen, so why prolong the agony, both of her own tortured existence and that of her family? Why not do it, so we can at least try and give her son a better start in life? I don't feel good for having said it, but it genuinely is how I feel about her and the whole shítty situation. I'm done with the encouragement, the endless knock-backs, with this monkey on my back. I have no patience or tolerance left for her and her ilk.

As I said, I hate druggies, every single man/woman-jack of them :evil:

Sponsored Links
Drug addiction should be a notifiable disease as tb used to be, which means addicts can be taken of the streets and held in secure accommodation.
Once they realise that the only way they are going to be released is to get rid of their addiction for good, they will have to try harder.

It's not a disease though, it's a lifestyle choice. I agree with them being incarcerated though; or forced to take an od. One or the other.

Sadly as I'm sure you're all too well aware, the only person that can make her stop is her. I'm not surprised you’re at the end of your tether.

Can you not report her to social services to get your grandson removed into care? That way you’d still be able to see him and know that he’s safe, even if you’re not directly responsible for him.

If you say it's been going on for 7 years and she’s 22 now, this is all she knows; this is her idea of what being an adult is all about. It’s utterly pathetic but I hit a similar thing as I was growing up, not nearly as bad but certainly some form of fear about being an adult, which turned me to drugs. Luckily I grew out of it after getting very tired and being shown an alternative to the life I was living.

There’s not a lot I or anyone can say except hang in there, as my Mother would say, take a deep breath, brush yourself down and go for it, one more time….

*hug*

Sponsored Links
my sister'got two on it they get medidone or whatever its called ,but make no real effort to quit ,they like it , pity they can't hold down a job and pay for it themselfs , then people would take no notice of them, there lifestyle would be there own and so be it,and if they burden nobody eles let them waste there life seeking there pleasure :( but they burden everyone with it.

A workmates son had to move North to get away from the influences of heroin in his life, and his grandson got put into care because the girlfriend was an addict too. He got full dental treatment (most of his teeth had fallen out), a flat and full rehab support.

He has now moved back down this way, been housed, and with supervision has access to his son again. His dad has had to endure a lot of stress and anguish, the same as you, and is grateful to Social Services for helping his son, for now at least, kick the habit and stay clean. He has even managed to gain employment as well. His dad now hopes that he realises the opportunity he has been given, but still, its one day at a time.

Yeh, we made the fatal mistake of relaxing about her last year, when she was due to get married (to the only one that I've ever liked out of the many that have crossed her path over the years), only for that to go títs-up and the merrygoround start again. She'd been clean for nearly two years too (as far as I know) and had become the lovely person that we knew she could be and a good mother to my grandson. I think that's what makes it harder, now she's relapsed. The poor boy has real anxiety attacks whenever she's away from him, he's been so messed by it all - God knows why he even thinks anything of her at all, tbh.

I guess that you can never really relax, until the day they pat your face with a shovel...there have been plenty of times where I've wished for that, for sure.

I can only imagine your anguish and pain, Shy. I have two kids, 18 and 13, and although I'd like to think that they wouldn't be influenced by drugs or such, I can never be 100 % sure.

Best of luck with your situation, mate :)

Cheers bud.

We've got three kids, she's the one in between, the other two have been as good as gold, are getting on with their lives quite happily. But they, quite rightly, get gipped at seeing the druggy one behaving appallingly and getting all the attention and money. Thankfully, they haven't felt moved to behave in a similar fashion in order to get our attention; they just won't have anything to do with her whatsoever now.

From what I've read on the subject, some people have an 'addictive personality trait'. Whereas you or I can take it or leave it, they cannot. It's not so much of a lifestyle issue as an issue in brain chemistry. Tough as it is you just cannot give up on young people. Life is tough for young people today.

I understand your sentiments, Joe, but don't make excuses for the little bleeders. There's no one forcing them to do this stuff, any more than there was in our day. They could have a go at neuro linguistic programming, if they wanted, to educate their brain to think in a different way. There is endless support out there for them to get away from this stuff - but they have to want to take that support.

Bring back the birch and the right to cuff the little gits around the ear and parents might be in with a chance of reimposing control and guiding them in the right direction. As it is, once they hit 16, you're toothless.

I'll tell you something Mate - My heart goes out to you and your family. There but for the grace of God go I, as they say. My daughter is now 28 and is a lovely girl but came very close to being in a similar situation when she was 16. There is a very very fine line at some points in childrens lives when they make choices that affect themselves and all around them.

The only comfort I can bring you is that I was a Drug Squad Officer for 8 years and I have met and dealt with dozens of young people like your daughter. Sadly, some could not be saved, but there is hope, sometimes very slim hope. I know of some addicts who managed to survive the worst of times to finally realise their serious problems and eventually manage to get themselves back on their feet.

You may only see dark times but there is sometimes light at the end of the tunnel. For the sake of your Grandson keep the pressure on the Social Services, the Police or whoever. If you don't there is nobody else who will.

Keep your chin up if you can

Sponsored Links
Back