Drum Bearing Replacement Zanussi Washing Machine - Pooblem

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I am trying to replace the drum bearings - Have full instructions

I have run into the a problem- I am trying to remove the pulley wheel from the Drun spindle.

It is fastened with a countersunk hex headed M10 x 25 bolt. I cannot get the bolt to budge.
I inserted an alan key into the hex head - could not get the bolt to move. Hammered on the alan key and damaged the alan key.

Could anyone sugggest how I can get the bolt out?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly, are you absolutely certain that it is not a left hand threaded bolt?

If the hex hole is now damaged, grinding a slot across the bolt and using a large slotted screwdriver might be your best bet now.

Plus one for the possibility of a left hand thread!
Try tapping an allen socket in, even an imperial one could be a better fit.....or maybe a torx one could bash in.
John :)

Sponsored Links
To: rsgaz, assuhors, Burnerman

Many thanks gentlemen for your replies and advice.

I have ordered a replacement bolt for the machine to check that it is not a left hand threaded bolt.

A good move, I think!
If you can post a pic we could maybe help you more. Often if the bolt head is removed the remaining thread is slack, if you can grip it.

upload_2018-10-11_13-30-47.png

Picture of screw that I am trying to remove. As regards the red threads on the bottom, they appear to be some type of a sealant such as loctite. I am a bit worried about using heat as this could damage rubber of plastic components in the vicinity..Has anybody experience tying to drill through the bolt?

Since the drum is in the machine, it is difficult to get too much torque on the bolt.

I am wondering if it would be possible to extract the drum from the machine with the pulley wheel still on the spindle. The drive motor would of course be removed prior to removing the drum.

Any help would once again be appreciated.

Jimmy

Indeed, that is red thread sealant on the screw, Jimmy.....ideally it does need to be heated to soften it. If you don't have a tiny gas flame, you could try a largish soldering iron stuck in the hexagon, and leave it a while for the heat to transfer down the thread. This sealant is very tenacious if you try to shift things cold. I fully appreciate you not wanting to heat other plastic bits up!
If the hexagon is really knackered you could try drilling the head off - if you have nothing to lose but we just don't know how hard the screw is. You'd go for a drill that was big enough to take the head off, rather than just drill through the thread. Hopefully there would be enough thread stub to grab with mole grips to shift it.
If that is the genuine screw, check to see if its right or left threaded.
I cant see the drum pulley coming off with the screw still in place, unfortunately.
You haven't a pal with a MIG welder that could flash a bolt onto the hexagon, have you?

Thanks again John,

You wrote "
I cant see the drum pulley coming off with the screw still in place, unfortunately."
I think that you have mistaken what I was asking in my question.

As you know, to change the bearings I have to remove the drum in one piece from the machine. The two halves of the drum have then to be seperated.

The instructions for carrying out the task say to remove the drive pulley before taking the drum out. When I was trying to remove the bolt, I looked around and I felt that I could remove the drum with the pulley still in situ. I felt that the only problem was an earthing strap that I would have to cut through.
It would be so much easier trying to remove the bolt with the drum out of the machine. What do you think?

At the moment, I have the machine reassembled and working - with the noisy bearings.

I want to be well prepared before re-tackling the job again. I have a heavy duty soldering iron and I will see if that will do the trick.

I really appreciate your help.

Jimmy

Ah yes I'm with you now. For sure, it will be easier with the drum out and sitting open end down. At that point there's no going back!
Can you show us the mangled screw?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back