Dry lined walls - a couple of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, would really appreciate some advice. Just viewed a small 2 bed mid terraced house which my daughter would be looking to purchase as her first house. I think this was constructed early 80s. We noticed that the downstairs walls (including external) were not brick. The vendor has told the agent that the downstairs walls are dry lined but upstairs is traditional plaster on brick. All the walls have wallpaper including some chip wood and embossed stuff that looks like it has been painted over many times.

1. Why would just downstairs have been lined and not upstairs. Is there a chance this has been done to cover a problem.

2. My daughter would want to remove all the wallpaper and just have painted walls but I wonder if the wallpaper could be removed without damaging the plasterboard and whether this would be suitable for painting or whether it would need papering again. I am worried that all the walls might need re-lining and she could probably not afford that.

3. The house doesn't have central heating. The vendor says they never installed this as house is warm and does not need it. We would want to install heating and wondered if this might cause problems heating the dry lining boards or air space behind them.

Maybe i am worrying too much but just want to be protect daughter from extra costs she won't be able to afford. Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Not sure about question 1 but I can answer 2 and 3 , if the boards were treated with a dry wall sealer then it may be possible to strip the wall paper, if not then forget it, putting central heating in a house could cause problems with plasterered walls it could Lead to cracks I don't think it will effect the boards, just as a note I don't have central heating my house is warm also. walls are lagged double glazing and roof is lagged there's only a couple of days a year that gets cold

You need to watch out that the walls aren't sealed with foil backed boards due to damp issues. You need a surveyor to take a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back