Dry lining around out of level window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm dry lining a wall with timber, the window in the wall is out of level horizontally.

When fixing the timber around the window, is it best practice to keep the timber level OR follow the lines of the window so the frame doesn't look odd against the plastered wall?

Or, a bit of both to even it out? Taking the window out is not an option, it'a not massively out of level.

Sponsored Links
Hi mark, personally I would set everything level. If you think about it and set the window board at an angle so it slopes, anything you place on it could have the ability to slide off. Ok that's a worse case scenario, but once you set that at an angle, it's going to knock your linings out, your archs won't meet at 45....etc, ad nauseam. You get my drift, it's a vicious circle.

It's your call though, it's a matter of opinion at the end of the day. :p

Yep as hotrod says.
Get your timber level or it will make life difficult when applying your angle beads as they won't run true and when it comes to filling it out some areas will be deeper than others.
But if your frame is out, it will never look right.
So might have to consider a bit of tweeking, so the frame does look aesthetically right, so may need to compromise on your horozontal reveal.

Sponsored Links
If your frame is out of level and the frame is square then it is also out of plumb.
In my opinion, the eye does not pick up anything that is slightly out of level or out of plumb unless there is something along side to line it up with, how ever the eye will immediately pick up a different sized margin round the window frames reveals and sill.
Therefore if we have a frame slightly on the lean, we follow the frame margin all round, and if you put a marble on one end of the sill, and it does not break the 30mph speed limit before reaching the other end, then its plenty good enough.
Only my opinion lads.
:eek: :D :LOL:
oldun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back