Dry Ridge/Hip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I think that i have everything that i need to do it but i have a few questions as there are some things i am not too sure of here.

The ridge seems pretty straightforward, the only issue i think i might have is that brackets (this is a truss roof) seems to be build to take the 38mm battens and i have 50mm battens, i can get 38mm if necessary. Not a major issue but could do without have to get these.

How high to the battens have to be in relation to the underside of the ridge tile? i know that these have to be screwed down but not seen much guidance as to what this gap should be, i would assume as little as possible really but then on the other hand there is the 'felt strip' thing that goes over the batten and onto the tiles and i don't want to make it not fit. Weird question this one.

Last question. On the hips, the kit that i have bought says that you have to put a batten up the hip. then another (probably 2) on top of that batten. There are no brackets with this kit. I have the trays which go onto the the top of the battens once fixed but again because of the height i am not too sure whether the trays are compressed to just touch the outside of the tile or extend.

One more thing, where should these battens end? I have a hip iron to put it. I guess that this should fit where the two corners meet? Hip iron would be installed before these additional battens get put in. Currently there are no tiles, there is battening for the tiles, and i am in the process of putting the first batten onto the ridge to that the battens for the tiles meet up with this batten. Would the hip iron go onto this first batten and the additional ones go on top of that one?

Lee

Sponsored Links
I think i might have made a bit of a mistake here. I have purchased 3 ridge kits plus the hip kits. Basically this means that i do have the brackets for the hips BUT i cannot work out what to do with these. Its relatively simple on the ridge as they push down and i can nail into the trusses. On the hips however i cannot do this as there are no trusses, just hips. I have seen online that some kits come with a specific bracket but i cannot seem to be able to purchase these anywhere. Other than just use battens i cannot see another way?

You dont need hip irons with dry fix hips, use block end hip tiles to start.

Im using the half round redland tiles at the moment for the ridge. Looking at what i can get here, i think that i have to get third round tiles for the hips and then a matching third round block end ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back