DRY ROT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new to this but we are so desperate would really appreciate any comments please. We have dry rot..absolutely devastated. Now dilemma is insurance company wont pay up. I know Insurance companies dont pay up on these sort of claims but they neglected a past flood at he house. We have been advised by a couple of local experts that this flood would be the cause of this. But when insurance company have been out they state it is down to hairline cracks on the outside wall and nothing to do with the flood. Does anyone know of hairline cracks on an outside wall can be the cause of dry rot. It seems all strange to me and I think the insurance company are pulling a fast one but I am no expert, Can the insurance company tell it is from the outside wall without any testing? There are no marks on the outside wall? All they have done is took photos of the outside wall and stated that is the cause? Any help or advice anyone can give would be a huge help

Sponsored Links
Oh my GOD! It's the end of the world as we know it!

Nothing to do with cracks or floods, just plain simple relative humidity. Put a couple of air bricks in and spray it. Easiest organism on the planet to kill.

Every house in the UK has dry rot spores in it - but it needs a very special environment to grow.

Hi Joe. Thanks for your response. Humidity has to come from somewhere though doesnt it? Can you really detect where the source is by pin pointing a hairline crack on a wall?

Sponsored Links
Humidity will come from the ground drying out. You need to VENTILATE it. Dry Rot dies when it's draughty. All houses have the spores in them. A dehumidifier will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back