Dry wall adhesive

Sponsored Links
i only normally get just over two 8' x 4's out of a 25 kg bag, but i do like to lay it on.

Sponsored Links
It depends on how straight the walls are and what back-ground you are puttin' it on, but as Richard C said should do you. At a push on good walls you could get six boards out of it ;)

i've spoken to my 'Man Friday' and he tells me it is two boards from a mixed batch which equates to 0.5 of a 25 kg bag.

doh :oops:

cut boards or part boards will take more gear as the ratio of blob-per-board goes up.

i haven't mixed the stuff in years. :eek: :oops:

incidentally, architects specify at least 50% of the board in contact with adhesive.

If your putting your "Blobs" on at 8"-9" gaps on a full board, then if you put half a board on at 8"-9" gaps then it is half as much as a full board in my book.. :LOL:

I dish my blobs from a wooden kitchen spoon spaced around 250mm but with an intermediate blob around the edges for extra support. I like to keep the boards fairly tight & would be very confident on one bag for 4 boards; this could go to 6, depending on the substrate, but I would have another bag in the truck just in case.

one bag would be stretching it and in my opinion not enough, grab an extra bag and do it proper. ;)

Out of interest I had a look at the British Gypsum Q&A webpage & found this:

Q: What is the coverage of one bag of Gyproc Dri-Wall Adhesive?

A: One bag will adhere approx. two 1200 x 2400mm (8 x 4’) plasterboards.

There is also a useful guide which shows surprisingly large strips of adhesive rather than blobs in the centre of the board, an intermediate strip at sides & top & a continuous bead at skirting level. I must confess I’ve never checked the recommended method & have always used blobs as I was taught but I can see why the average coverage would be just 2 boards with the recommended method. :eek:

So, I stand corrected :oops: & it seems I’ve not been using enough but I’ve never had any fall off!

I always do continuous(ish) strips all around the perimeter and every 300 ish floor to ceiling this gives the wall a more 'solid' feel when tapped back and levelled. 1 bag covers 2 and a bit boards. Works out a bit more expensive but theres nothing worse than hollow sounding walls in my opinion.

If you put small dabs on close together when you "tap" it against the wall with your 4"x2" to plumb it up the dabs will spread and there are hardly any voids behind the board and it is a lot firmer against the wall!!! Mind you I've only been dot and dabbing for 20 years!!! ;)

You have just enough as long as you don't have to apply too many thick dabs. I would have 2 bags ready cos the guidlines usually say 2 and a half to 3 boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back