Dry wall sanding machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have covered up an Artex coated ceiling with new plasterboard and taped the joints and applied the joining compound. I spotted a lot of info on the Web about dry wall sanders and saw a deal on the Aldi site for a Scheppach sander. I had high hopes for using this as in general I had seen videos etc saying that very little dust is generated if using a vacuum attached to the sander. However, after attaching a Hetty vacuum cleaner and starting to sand I found dust being flung out all over the room and control of the sander reminding me of my days as a part time cleaner fighting to control a floor buffer. Has anyone experience similar problems using one of these?

Sponsored Links
Never had any problems with anything from Aldi, because I don't buy the junk that they sell, but it's good to read the reviews like yours about the crap they sell.

Never had a problem with my £650 Merka sander and dust extractor that's designed for the job.

Hi Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I had to go for the cheap option as not a lot of cash and probably won't get used that often
Cheers
Dave

Vacuum bags fill up with fine dust quickly and suction reduces creating dust in the air. Build a cyclone will help as cheap option. Fit new original hepa bag not a naff paper or rubbish knockoff bag then connect to cyclone.
Or.
Get a proper drywall vac.

Whatever you use you need max suction and keep it up. Ha

Sponsored Links
However, after attaching a Hetty vacuum cleaner and starting to sand I found dust being flung out all over the room and control of the sander reminding me of my days as a part time cleaner fighting to control a floor buffer. Has anyone experience similar problems using one of these?
You have now discovered why tradesmen have M-class vacuums. Nearest you'll get is a HEPA filter as Wayners says. Should maker a lot of difference

The problem is that plaster dust is extremely fine, whilst domestic vacuums have a very coarse filter. Same goes for mortar dust, too

You need to make sure you align the holes on the pads with that on the sanding disks so the vacuum can work through it.

Hi yeah I made sure all the holes were aligned. The vacuum didn't appear to even initially collect any of the dust. I checked all the connections were tight

Since the sander is picking up the dust it's doing its job right? It's the vacuum that's not holding it.

I use the fabric HEPA bags with my henry and they work well.

Hi
The sander is removing material from the ceiling but the vacuum didn't appear to collect any of it. The dust just got flung out of the sander wheel. I will check out the HEPA bags and I will try a wall next to practice on a as it is hard to make sure the sander stays flat on the ceiling which maybe part of the problem as I hear if the sander rises slightly off the surface the vac will not collect the dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back