dry/wet rot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we had an issue of dry rot about 10 years ago, we had the stairs replaced all floors downstairs dug up and relaid and treated, the walls hacked 3ft up, it cost alot to rectify.

My missus is an hoarder and she has had stuff by the back door against the floor/wall.
I spotted a section of skirting about 18" long which is rotten, got a knife and went straight through, the skirting is in 2 lengths, the other length doesn't seem to have rotten.
was thinking of calling rentokil, any advice of who would be the best to look at it for us without being tucked up?

Sponsored Links
Rotten timber does not have to be dry rot. You can send a sample off to the lab yourself and get it tested. Many surveys are free, but you don't really know if the work they advise if needed.

Rotten timber does not have to be dry rot. You can send a sample off to the lab yourself and get it tested. Many surveys are free, but you don't really know if the work they advise if needed.

hi do you know who i can send a sample too?

thanks

If you sort out your ventilation you won't have any rot problems. Rot needs high humidity and warmth to survive.

Sponsored Links
Having pulled off the rotten piece of wood, you need to find out why it is wet.
Have you checked out the door frame?
Is the door in an exposed position?
Is wind blown rain getting though the gap between the door frame and the wall?
At what level did the fitter install the new DPC?
Above or below the skirting board?
What is the level of the ground outside compared to the bottom of the door frame?

why dont you get the firm who done the work back to check,it still must be in guarantee after only 10 years,or if the firm no longer exists check your paper work to see if it is insurance backed.

In my opinion Greegers is right..
You should call the firm who worked on it and they can better check it and if the warranty isn't expired then you will not be charged any fee for it.!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back