Dry rot in auction property kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I looked around an auction property and saw that one of the skirting boards in the kitchen was rotten. Do you reckon it's wet or dry rot?
The affected skirting board is against the wall adjoining the neighbouring property. To the right is the outside rear wall. None of the other skirting boards seemed affected.
6M5A7862.JPG

6M5A7866.JPG

I've also included a picture of the flooring on the other side of the kitchen; might be nothing, but I wondered if there was a bit of white bloom on the top and side which might suggest problems below:
6M5A7867.JPG

Thank you very much for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It does have a slight look of dry rot about it, but you need to open it up to be sure. Is there a floor void below?

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure if there's a floor void; I wish I'd checked, but we only had a 15 minute slot to dash around so I just tried to shoot as many pictures of anything unusual as I could.
There were no other obvious signs of damp inside the house (except for black mould behind the cupboards on the rear wall), but the outside did. The property's rear wall (at the right hand end of the affected skirting board) had signs of a damp proof injection, as did other properties nearby, and below it was algae. Here's a pic of the rear wall from outside (the wall to the right is the garden wall)
IMG_20210403_123847558 (1).jpg
The front of the house had lines of efflorescence, either from the broken downpipe or because there was no damp proof injection.
Thank you again.

I would plan your budget for if it does have extensive dry rot.

That way you can work out whether it's it's good investment/purchase, and if it's not that bad, it will be a pleasant surprise

Sponsored Links
Thank you. That sounds like a good idea - then whatever happens I'm prepared!
The more I think about it, I'm thinking there must be more to it than this; it's impossible that the skirting board would be affected in isolation, with the problem not going any further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back