Drying time small patches concrete before using wood burner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've patched a couple of small areas of hearth at either side of my wood burner. They areas are both triangular, about 10cm each side of the triangle and only about 1 - 1.5cm deep, just aesthetic repair after the fireplace was altered. I know normal curing time for concrete is about 30 days, but how long will I need to wait before I can use the log burner? It doesn't give a lot of heat out at the bottom - the hearth stays fairly cold when the fire is lit. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you keep it constantly damp, by watering or by wrapping in plastic, it will reach 70% of design strength in 7 days.

For non-structural indoor work, that is usually adequate.

Once you let it dry, it will stop curing and will not start again even if you try to wet it.

Has it had 7 days yet?

You could throw an old wet cloth over it , will keep it damp even with stove going.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking a piece of metal or aluminium foil to reflect the heat as well as being a cover to slow it drying.

Something that small will dry by the surrounding material absorbing the water, so you would do well to water it tonight and in the morning. A plant sprayer or teapot will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back