Dryline a damp stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House built in early 1700's.

This wall is stone on inside, rendered on outside
My guess is that it is double skin stone with rubble infill, and that the outside render and paint is modern and problematic!

However, the room I'm renovating was drylined decades ago with some kind of fibreboard on light batten nailed into wooden plugs. ...and for most of the room it is still working okay - reasonably dry.

One section of wall has had damp problems - rotten battens, mouldy fibreboard and wallpaper.
The lime plaster behind is variable, some soft and hollow, I have removed, but much of it still sound.

My guess is that the damp has 2 causes:
-some kind of leak in the corner - water running down inside wall after rain - I've done some sealing on the outside around various plumbing - this leak seems to have stopped - possibly I've fixed it, possibly just not had the wind back in the same direction!
-more general damp in the stonework due to the modern render on the outside preventing moisture from evaporating outwards.
Since exposing the plaster and stonework on the inside the wall has got drier.

Eventually I'll want to look at addressing the outside render, but just not possible right now.
So I'm looking at drylining:
I've plenty enough space for a new stud wall with a gap between it and the lime plaster wall.
So I'm thinking:
some kind of membrane fixed behind the stud to keep the timber and plasterboard dry, then hard insulation between the studs, then plasterboard (foil backed?) on the front of the stud.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions,

Stephen

Sponsored Links
If this were a barn conversion which in effect it near enough is, in terms of what you are trying to achieve you could do worse than follow this specification, though you might feel that the Newlath is overkill. But I guarantee you will never have damp through the wall again, no matter what the external finish is:

Though you could reduce the size of the studs to say 100mm in your situation.

Hi,

Thanks for that - looks good,

I'm thinking I'd rather put the newlath or similar on the back of the stud, so as to give more vent space to the lime wall - does that make sense?

cheers

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Is suppose you could, but the point is that the Newlath provides a small vent space because of its dimpled texture and how you would actually fix it to the back of a stud wall is a mystery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back