Render renewal and drying time before plastering inside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had cracked render on external wall...removed render back to brickwork, brickwork was wet, and also removed internal plaster which was very damp and crumbling, cut back one metre on inside walls till it was solid.......so once the outside wall is newly rendered with breathable render, how long before we can get the plaster put on the internal walls, can any one give me a straight answer, had two plasterers round but they both say different things ???? Would drylining either side of the chimney fasten things up ??any help much appeciated.

Sponsored Links
It will depend on the weather conditions over the curing period.
You should get a good idea by looking at it, does it look dry?
Rule of thumb is about 4 weeks.
Though this is not always adhered to!
I can't see dry-lining the chimney sides, being of much help, the internal walls need to dry out, any moisture trapped between them and the boards could cause problems.

How old is the property? What sort of external wall is this, cavity, solid brick or what?

Don’t put gypsum plaster or plasterboard anywhere near a fire where the temperature in the wall will exceed 50 degrees, it will fail.

How old is the property? What sort of external wall is this, cavity, solid brick or what? ===== Its solid brick ,but obviously a bit wet, what with the cracked render, the wet went right through the wall over some time. was thinking of getting a couple of de-humifiers??....Can the render be put up while the wall is wet ?

Don’t put gypsum plaster or plasterboard anywhere near a fire where the temperature in the wall will exceed 50 degrees, it will fail.
====Was thinking of the recess each side of the fire, thinking of putting in a gas fire and put a liner down the chimney... Thanks for your help...

Sponsored Links
It will depend on the weather conditions over the curing period.
You should get a good idea by looking at it, does it look dry?
Rule of thumb is about 4 weeks.
Though this is not always adhered to!
I can't see dry-lining the chimney sides, being of much help, the internal walls need to dry out, any moisture trapped between them and the boards could cause problems.

So no internal plastering could be carried out until the render (external)and the wall (internal) were completely dry ??

I would not carry out any work on the internal walls until I was happy that water ingress had stopped.
There is nothing wrong in dampening them down once it has stopped though.
The best thing to do with the internal recess of chimney, would to sand/lime/cement render rather than board or plaster. if this is going to be seen.

You didn’t answer
How old is the property? What sort of external wall is this, cavity, solid brick or what?
& it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fire!

But PBD seems to have it covered so I’ll butt out ;)

I would not carry out any work on the internal walls until I was happy that water ingress had stopped.
There is nothing wrong in dampening them down once it has stopped though.
The best thing to do with the internal recess of chimney, would to sand/lime/cement render rather than board or plaster. if this is going to be seen.

Thanks PrenticeBoy, much appreciate your help.

BUT YOU STILL HAVN'T ANSWERED MY ****KIN QUESTION;

Never mind, I give up :cry:

You didn’t answer
& it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fire!

But PBD seems to have it covered so I’ll butt out ;)

Thanks for your help Richard, I need all the help I can get, so thanks again for you input......caseymojo....
RICHARD C......
The wall is solid, but wet, How long before it can be rendered ?.. obviously will have to wait till the external wall render is dry, and the inside walls have dryed out completely, is that right ??.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back