Damp render on internal retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old house renovation project - I am gradually replacing modern plaster and render with lime plaster and renewing decaying lime plaster.

In the kitchen there is an area of wall that is below the soil level of my neighbour's garden. The external wall is brick but the inside is rendered with a conventional sand / cement mix.

The wall was covered with ceramic tiles on top of the render and there was some evidence of damp on the render when I removed the tiles. However, this has been covered for years and its not really that bad all things considered. The skim came off with the tiles. Alternatives:

1) I could use something like a newton membrane and plaster on top but that could trap moisture in the wall?
2) I could remove the existing render and put lime plaster over the top - I'd prefer not too, as the existing render is mostly in good condition.
3) Simply apply lime plaster over the top of the existing render.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it's not too bad, why not just leave things as they are, albeit perhaps with new tiling?

As it's an old house with a floor lower than the neighbour's garden, some degree of damp would have been inevitable, though originally it may have dried off quicker with coal fires and natural ventilation.

You risk making the condition worse if you start altering things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back