Drywall adhesive as base instead of hardwall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had 3 separate groups of plasterers to work on various areas of my new house and they all complained about how quickly the blockwork sucks in water and is prone to cracking.

On the photos you can see how one group of plasterers left the job one afternoon, everything has cracked and in one place the hardwall had set away from from the block so it sounded hollow. The following day the same group used rendering mesh (comes in rolls of 1m width) and put it everywhere over every single wall.

I would have been happier if they had taken down the cracked hardwall and started again...

On another section of the house I tried to take off a couple of plasterboards stuck with drywall adhesive onto the same type of blocks, and it was very very hard and impossible to remove from the blocks, it had become one with the blocks. If drywall adhesive is so good, why not use that instead of hardwall which is so delicate?

Attachments

• 20230630_090719.jpg
    20230630_090719.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230630_090704.jpg
    20230630_090704.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230630_090700.jpg
    20230630_090700.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Proper plasterers per City & Guilds know that you need to change a high suction background into a low suction background by the appropriate number of watered down PVA or SBR coats and how long to leave the last coat before applying any kind of plaster product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back