DSC/BG Default Installer code/remote reset & allowed acc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

I am being frustrated by an alarm issue and any help would be appreciated (sorry in advance for the length, but thought I’d put all the details here)!

I have a DSC 1832 alarm with a PK5500 keypad. My alarm is not monitored. I had an accidental alarm trip last week (the front fascia on one of the wireless zone sensors came loose and tripped the alarm) and the keypad is now asking for a remote reset code to be entered. The keypad was installed 2 years ago, but I cannot access the installer menu via *8. I was under the impression that every DSC keypad comes with a standard installer code (5555, or 5010 for a couple of models) but I can’t get in. BG are telling me that this is wrong and they have their own 2 default installer codes. They are telling me that because I’m not under a monitoring agreement, they cannot reset my keypad remotely and so I have to pay £85 for a callout.

They are also telling me that they can neither give me the installer code, nor change it to one of my own choosing. This seems absolutely insane as it means that I have no control over my own alarm system and am unable to reset it myself! It effectively forces me into a monitoring agreement because if I don’t have one, and I accidentally trip my own alarm (like last week), I have to pay £85 each time. I simply cannot believe that this is allowed under regulation, and that only BG has the ability to reset my alarm.

Similarly, I can’t seem to figure out from various searches what the Master Code is used for, and if can I get access to that also? I’ve read that if I can get into the Installer Menu I can change the Master Code myself….

If anyone can provide any insight, I’d love to hear it!

Sponsored Links
£85 quid would buy you a new panel which you have complete control over.
Unless you know a friendly BG employee.
Personally I would bin it and get a new panel.

£85 quid would buy you a new panel which you have complete control over.
Unless you know a friendly BG employee.
Personally I would bin it and get a new panel.

Thanks Alarm. Looks like the (same) panel costs £80 or so, and I guess I'd have to all the programming myself. If BG are required, upon my request, to change the codes to what I want them to be and to enable the panel for full "user reset", I'm guessing that's prob a better option...?

And when something else goes wrong you ring them again and pay more.

Your choice, I wouldin your situation bin the panel and get another with the same features you need and I`m sure £80 would do that.
So you spend a hour or two on it.
Its yours then, do as you wish.

Sponsored Links
And when something else goes wrong you ring them again and pay more.

Your choice, I wouldin your situation bin the panel and get another with the same features you need and I`m sure £80 would do that.
So you spend a hour or two on it.
Its yours then, do as you wish.

Agreed

I'm also sure BG "lock" the code in on these systems.

an awfull system imo, a big hit in the states tho :confused:

found this on a site, dunno if its any use?

Power the board down totally, temporarily disconnect the horn, power up with AC. Listen for a series of about 10 rapid clicks, which indicates the board is indeed locked. If there are no clicks, proceed to unlock according to factory instructions *

Classic series (1550, 2550, 3000) - Power down, put on reset jumper, power up with AC, wait 30 seconds, then remover jumper. System should be back to factory (all zone lights lit)

Power series (1555, 5010) - Power down, connect a jumper from PGM 1 to zone 1, power up with AC, wait 30 seconds or until Zone 1 lights on the keypad, then remove connections and proceed.

*Please note carefully: If you do default a DSC panel that is locked, all settings will go back to factory, EXCEPT the installer code, making the board totally useless, so be careful !!

BG lock their codes, comes that way from the factory.
Many companies get the panels defaulted to their own settings ADT, BG ECT.
Even alarm companies do it.
You will find more and more panels are locked down in the future.
Remember you read it here first.

Hence dump it and get something else you own.

Thanks to all for the helpful comments, much appreciated.

I tired powering down the panel a couple of days ago (before I saw these posts), but don't think I was able to do it - I unplugged one of the main wires from the backup battery but couldn't find the transformer to unplug that. I'll try again and see if I get those dreaded clicks.....

My other question was this - if I specifically request it, are BG required (by law/regulation/trading standards or whatever) to set all the codes to what I want them to be to give me FULL control over the panel/system? If they are, this would presumably be the equivalent of me getting a new panel (as suggested above) and installing it all myself. Paying the one-off £80 would therefore presumably be cheaper than buying a new system (not to mention the time I'd have to spend setting the whole thing up).

Code could be changed, as you request. For a call out.

And for gods sake dont pull the wires off the transformer, you might grab the wrong side and get a handful of mains (230 AC). Take the fuse out of the spur instead, or if not then the one in the panel where the mains comes in.

AC can kill, if unsure get someone who is competent.

Code could be changed, as you request. For a call out.

And for gods sake dont pull the wires off the transformer, you might grab the wrong side and get a handful of mains (230 AC). Take the fuse out of the spur instead, or if not then the one in the panel where the mains comes in.

AC can kill, if unsure get someone who is competent.

Noted Alarm, thanks again. Don't worry, I have no intention on playing around with the connections unless I'm 100% sure of what I'm doing.

Right, I tested to see if it was locked yesterday - disconnected one wire from the backup battery and disconnected one of the main AC wires from inside the panel (leaving a reasonably quiet wailing siren), waited 30 secs, before reconnecting the backup battery followed by the AC.

I didn't hear any fast clicking from the panel, but I heard the keypad bleeping (which subsequently stopped after I pressed the # a couple of times). It had previously shown a (presumably) randomly generated 4-digit code followed by "remote reset required." It now shows the following:

'24003479 V1.11 ENG L50'

Does anyone have any ideas whether I have indeed locked myself out or whether it can be re-programmed from here?

Thanks!

Good question, think its programmed by a hexidecimal stream, not the easiest to get your head around. trying to locate a manual for you to see.
Might be a day or so though.

Good question, think its programmed by a hexidecimal stream, not the easiest to get your head around. trying to locate a manual for you to see.
Might be a day or so though.

Thanks Alarm, that's very kind of you, much appreciated.

832 will do Mr Young.
Most of them are of the same genere anyway iirc.
Can you send via PM system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back