Dual Fuel Cooker, two installers needed?? And a Chain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are buying a new D/F cooker, probably from an Internet Company as High Street prices are £100's more.

I know I will have to have this fitted but it says the electrics have to be installed to a B.S and the Gas supply by a Corgi registered fitter.

We already have a Gas cooker so the supply is ready and waiting and there is a switched 6.mm cable waiting to be connected.

Does this mean one Corgi fitter who is a qualified Electrician to fit it, or two fitters :!: :!:

Also my existing cooker does not have any chain retention, is there a 'normal' position for this to be attached to the wall :?: This bit would be easy if I knew where to position the wall hook and what size of chain was needed. Any suggestions :?:

Sponsored Links
cookers normally come with chains, AFAIK. You will need 2 installers to get it fitted to all the relevant standards.

The chain is to stop it falling over if a child (or you) climb on the open oven door.

Mine is about 200mm long, with a link that can be undone if you need to pull the cooker out for cleaning and servicing. It leaves room to get at the gas bayonet. A screw-in eye seems to do the trick. Mine has a Vine Eye which goes deep into the brickwork, in a wall plug and is the sort of thing you use when lashing plants to the side of the house.

It must of course be securely fastened to the wall (not a cupboard that might shift)

If yours is a dual-fuel cooker with a gas hob and an electric oven (the best kind!) and has a power rating of 3kW or less, then the the oven may just neeed a 13Amp plug in a socket... I can't see you need an electrician for that.

Thank you for your replies, TWO fitters is going to be expensive!! :cry: :cry:

I really need to know where the chain should be fixed to the wall so it will not get in the way of fitting the cooker flush to the wall, for example 30" up on right side 6" in from right side of cooker when facing the front. I would assume most cookers have a similar rear layout (Hope) I would certainly not attach it to the cupboards.

As I have gone to great lengths to make sure the 6.mm cable is right up to spec I want to use it :!: and By God thats what I'll do ;) :) This bit I can do myself but I suppose its illegal :( :( :?:

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
As near to the top middle as you can get it. The cooker probably has a bit of a gap at the back for air circulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back