Dual fuel range cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to take delivery of a new kitchen for our house.

The kichen includes a dual fuel range cooker rated as total 7.2 kw

The old oven was gas only with a 13 amp socket for the lights clock etc.

I have spare positions in a large RCD board fitted some years ago when an extension was built.

Can I as a compitent DIY man run a suitable twin core and earth from a RCD in the board, to an above the worktop fused spur and then trunk it down to a wall connector for the range oven?

On removing the old kitchen units today I gained access under the floor and have found a way to route the cable, approx 10 metres from the oven to the RCD board.

The maximum size cable the oven can take is 6mm, but at that distance and 7.2kw what size should I use. and what rating RCD?

greatfull for all advice

Thanks
Charlie

Sponsored Links
As a competent DIYer, yes you can do this but you must first notify your local authority and pay their fee. All electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable. See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

All the work you do must comply with Wiring and Building Regulations. The LABC will want to inspect and test the installation at various stages.
You will need calibrated test equipment to check your installation before they come to do the final check. Do you have a low-ohm meter, insualtion tester and RCD tester?

You could, of course, get a registered electrician to do the work for you. Find one at www.competentperson.co.uk. It may be cheaper that way!

I would suggest using a suitable rated RCBO on the non-RCD side of your CU.
The cable you require will depend on the installation method and the environment and that needs a skilled survey. Generally 6mm² protected by a 32A CPD would be used for that size load, but it depends on a number of factors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back