Ducting / Ventilation shared by tumble and cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have just moved into a new property and the cooker hood vents directly into the garage which is undesireable to say the least.

I am looking at putting some new ducting in to run the cooker ventilation out through the side of the garage above the kitchen door.

At the same time we have a tumble in the garage and it would be nice if that could vent out through the same pipes.

Attached is a rough plan. Would this cause any problems with both appliances sharing the same ducting?

Sponsored Links
It's a bad idea because:

1. Tumble dryer steam will be blown into the kitchen via the cooked hood
2. Cooking fumes will likewise enter the tumble dryer from the cooker hood
3. The diameter of the pipe going outside from the tee piece would not be large enough to carry both air streams at the same time.
4. Straight tee pieces should not be used on pressure applications, a swept tee should be used.

Non return valves would get around the cross contamination to some extent, but as the duct is in the garage it shouldn't be difficult or disruptive to run another one and do it properly.

Many thanks Stem,

Pretty much what I thought, due to the space above the kitchen door it would have been an easy job with just one pipe but I guess that i'll have to put that extra bit of work in to get two separate vents in.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back