Duel Fuel towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first post, apologises if this has been covered before. I’ve started planning the renewal of my bathroom and en-suite. I’d like to fit duel fuel towel radiators in both. Obviously during the winter I’d have the heating on and therefore towels are likely to dry after use and during the summer when the heating’s off the electric element would hopefully do the same job. I’ve seen time lag switches on the market that are rated for 6A and have a range of been 12 to 120 minutes. Is it possible to connect these to an element? Would the time range be enough to dry the towels? My plan would be to flick this on after my morning shower and therefore dry the towels but then switch off after two hours after I’ve gone to work?? Or would it be better to just fit a timer?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't see a problem with what you suggest as long as the current drawn by the towel rails does not exceed the switch rating and that they are safely installed with suitable fusing & isolation.

There are regulations in place regarding electrical installations in bathrooms. Equipment should be protected by an RCD,

However, the switches you refer to may not be suitable for installation in a bathroom so may have to be outside the room. (Bathrooms have electrical "zones" and the equipment must be suitable for the zone that it is located in)

http://www.allupandon.co.uk/lighting/information/bathroomzones

Also all DIY electrical work in a bathroom must be notified to the building control department of your local council before work starts and they will inspect afterwards. For a fee of course.

Welcome to the forum. For future reference electrical questions usually get a more comprehensive answer from the sparkies in the Electrics UK section.

Welcome to the forum. For future reference electrical questions usually get a more comprehensive answer from the sparkies in the Electrics UK section.

if you manage to aviod the big mouth prophet of the rule book :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thank you for taking the time to reply, since I posted I have found 16A versions with IP ratings of 66 which should easily cover the job, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back