Dug Hole - It filled with water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My parents garden is around 70% flat with the last 30% on a slight gradient.

Where it levels out we planned to put decking in however when I dug 2 holes yesterday for posts they filled with water quickly.
We've all had alot of rain but I assume this is more than that?
Any advise as to what to do - I assume we need to put some sort of drainage in? If so what is best.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What are you planning to put in the holes? What sort of ground is it (soil, rubble, sand, clay)?
Most likely the water table has come up thanks to recent rain, it'll probably drop over the next day or three

My last home had a high water level due to the soil being very much clay. In some areas it was less then 2" below the surface and difficult to grow a decent patch of grass. As it was a rental property, I certainly wasn't going to get it dug down to 12" or more and then filled with top soil.
The problem is, if surrounding properties are also clay based and you excavate to fill with top soil, their excess water will simply drain down ito your, more permeable, soil unless you put in some form of drainage to drain it away to a lower level.

Sponsored Links
What's around the rest of the garden? Was there anything on the spot before?

Slight possibility that there's something below the ground surface that is retaining water but I imagine Conny is right and the water table is very high where you are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back