Dulux eggshell problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 4 weeks ago I painted my bathroom with Dulux Eggshell. The previous finish which had been done about 5 years ago was matt paint (not eggshell) that had been applied on a wall lined with paper. This time preparation involved a very light sanding and a wipe down using sugar soap solution followed by further wipe down using ordinary water. A roller was used for most of the application.

What I've now noticed especially if someone has just had a shower is at the first hint of condensation/steam I get a strange effect on the wall nearest the steam, ends up looking like wallpaper that's had water thrown at it! To the touch it feels very tacky and greasy. I've attached a photo which shows the effect though not very well, but is very obvious in the light during and just after a shower. Eventually it dries up but you can still make out the streaking and portions of the wall affected still feel a bit tacky.

We don't have a problem with excessive steam as there is an extractor fan running and we normally keep the door and window open a bit and the rads are normally on for a bit. Very infrequently we may have the slightest hint of mould appear on the ceiling but that's it. When we contacted the local Dulux center initially we were recommended to use this paint.

What is this and what can I do, is this a problem with the paint?

Attachments

• 20170205_092911.jpg
    20170205_092911.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 20170204_115521.jpg
    20170204_115521.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Surprised nobody has been able to offer any wisdom on this. I'm wondering did I get a bad batch of paint. When condensation has got to it, it very quickly becomes tacky and oily/greasy to the touch and when it's dried up it leaves faint water marks on the wall.

Hi, are you sure eggshell was the right paint?

Have you phoned brewers or something?

Sponsored Links
Hi, are you sure eggshell was the right paint?

Have you phoned brewers or something?

Why would I need to phone Brewers? We got the paint direct from our local Dulux centre and they said eggshell was fine for the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back