Dulux Trade Eggshell too glossy!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone else tried the latest 2010 VOC Dulux Trade Eggshell paint? This always had a beautiful flat, matt finish to it, but the new product is more like a silk finish and is a complete disaster. It shows the brush marks and is just not a patch on the old paint.

Does anyone know of an alternative eggshell that really is matt or is this now a problem with all the new VOC paints? A good eggshell supplier with colour matching would be ideal. Any ideas?

Thanks,
bjw10.

Sponsored Links
I agree with you 100%

I find that I now need to use more owatrol (a mix of linseed oil and turps) and a liittle white sprits PLUS terebene driers to make the paint act like it did before.

In short I am increasing the VOC elements since they reduced them.

The sheen does drop back but it takes longer than it used to and without the Terebene it says stickier for longer.

I am now thinking about using acid cat on site given that the paints are now sh!te. I understand the need to be more considerate about the environment but I am using more solvents than before!!!

It has been suggested by some (of my) suppliers that there is virtually no difference between oil based eggshell and satinwood any more.

I think all oild based paint is now crap but still better to work with than waterbased.

i get the impression that the higher pigment colours are worse, not sure if they changed the universal tints as well.

Other than ranting, I cant help- sorry

Opps,

Thanks for your rant, at least it's good to know that I am not imagining it.

Don't think I am up to mixing the concoction that you are using, so not sure what to do next. I painted the whole house and the kitchen units in Trade Eggshell and now I can't match any of the paints even if Dulux says it's the same colour.

Guess that's progress for you.

Thanks again,
bjw10.

Sponsored Links
hi bjw10

Owatrol is available off the shelf. It's about £15 per litre but you only use a small amount. I have used it for years to reduce brush strokes. It effectively ******* the initial drying speed allowing you to move the paint around (lay it off).

Rustins sell terebene, a purple liquid. It is used to make the paint dry faster. I only started to use it post 01/01/2010. i was getting fed up with the paint being slightly tacky the next day. You only need a very small amount.

White spirits- again I only use a small amount. Just to thin the paint very slightly.

The mixture is far from exact and a bit hit and miss, in very warm weather i would reduce the terebene and increase the owatrol. It's not difficult though.

Prior to the switch i was able to apply 1 coat of acrylic primer to mdf, sand it and then two coats of oil based eggshell. Now there are the odd occasions where I need to apply a third eggshell.

IMHO the whole VOC thing was ill conceived. My paint consumption on some jobs is up by 30%. The consumption of paint additives has massively increased and due to discolouration the projects are repainted sooner. Add the fact that the the quality of finish has dropped and you have a complete fecked up policy.

Hey ho....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back