Dulux paint marring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I bought two different colours for two different rooms of the Dulux paint that they make at store.

I applied two coats to two different walls in two different rooms.

Idiotically I also used a tester pot to fill in some snags on one wall. This left different marks. I therefore had to go back and buy a new pot (this is relevant later on).

I have noticed that both rooms have significant marring effects. This is even the case with the new pot that I bought. At that time I also bought a new roller so did not due to residue on a roller.

I have emailed Dulux and I'm waiting for a response but I really need to try and remedy this quickly.

I can repaint the sections so they look new again. However, how do I stop this affect happening again?

Thanks (ps the walls were previously painted and I just went over the top of them)

Sponsored Links
I tend to call it letterboxing. Imagine rolling the walls and then doing the cutting in after and being able to see a slight sheen difference where you have cut in. It is fairly common. It is much worse with certain dark colours (even within the same brand of paint).

Years ago I repainted a customer's wall six times with a purple paint because of it. I had to hire someone else to roll as I cut in simultaneously, and that was in spite of the fact that I had added loads of Floetrol to maintain a wet edge.

The problem is less obvious with paints that have lower levels of latex/acrylic. I do not like using Farrow and Ball emulsion paints, but they do have less acrylic in them. The upside is that their dusty colours (eg dark greens) look dusty and don't show up touched in areas quite so much, but the lack of acrylic means that they are much more difficult to keep clean.

I tend to call it letterboxing. Imagine rolling the walls and then doing the cutting in after and being able to see a slight sheen difference where you have cut in. It is fairly common. It is much worse with certain dark colours (even within the same brand of paint).

Years ago I repainted a customer's wall six times with a purple paint because of it. I had to hire someone else to roll as I cut in simultaneously, and that was in spite of the fact that I had added loads of Floetrol to maintain a wet edge.

The problem is less obvious with paints that have lower levels of latex/acrylic. I do not like using Farrow and Ball emulsion paints, but they do have less acrylic in them. The upside is that their dusty colours (eg dark greens) look dusty and don't show up touched in areas quite so much, but the lack of acrylic means that they are much more difficult to keep clean.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. My main issue is the marking on the wall from any contact however. You put a hand on the wall, mark. A nose, mark..... Star fish, mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back