Dulux Trade Supermatt on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a newly plastered room to paint and have a tub of Dulux Trade Supermatt for the job.

The instructions for the paint are given here:

http://dulux.trade-decorating.co.uk/products/info/dulux_trade_supermatt.jsp

It says one mist coat with 1 part water, 3 parts paint. I get that bit.

Than it says The normal finishing process is 2 thinned coats of Supermatt. It also says For normal use: thinning should not exceed 1 part clean water to 5 parts paint.

So my question is exactly how much should I thin the paint?

I have never thinned paint before and am also curious to why it needs to be done.

Thanks as always,

Kind regards,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Use a vinyl matt. Its very subjective and down to personal choice, i like Johnstones and little green intellimatt. Important thing is to avoid cheap own brand shed paints and get trade rather than off the shelf retail. Trade will need thinning by 5-10%. I avoid dulux now, crown is meant to be ok, Albany (brewers) is cheap and cheerful, Gliddens going down hill quicker than man united, F&B modern emulsion very good but pricey. If you don't mind spending the money i would get little green intellimatt, IMO its the best paint out there, does need thinning by 10% . You can order it in at Brewers and i think direct off their website. My local Brewers have a few samples so its often well worth getting a few, paint it onto lining paper and move round the room in different lights/times of day.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your help m8.

I am going to use the supermatt and see how it looks. Then in 6 months to a years time ( when the plaster is 100% dry) i will re-paint with vinyl matt as you have recommended.

Thanks again, your advice has been greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back