duncan bannatyne

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He is one of the dragon den dragon and his story off-screen is a classic of rags-to-riches entrepreneurship. I've not read his book but from brief reviews it appears that this guy made his 270 million pounds fortune from starting out with an ice cream van at thirty after having been to prison.
I wonder if someone of that age today, with the willpower Bannatyne had, could make the same fortune. I somehow doubt it. I feel that in todays economy it would be a lot harder for people to do what these dragons have done in the 70s and 80s. Cheap labour then, no hse, no human rights acts, no new labour etc etc...
Any views?

Sponsored Links
Not saying that, just saying that with all the laws, regulations and goverment inteference on small businesses it would hard for someone to make that sort of fortune from scratch.

Bill Gates may disagree, as would the owner of facebook.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
I read that when he opened his first old peoples homes he was totally skint. Nobody would loan him any more money, had thousands of pounds debt on credit cards.

I have a family member who is a millionare, now possibly a billionaire. The day he started business, he was also skint, totally potless, kids had to eat at grandparents.

The difference between them and us, is they 'knew' their business would take off, and any one that got in the way was probably risking life and limb.

There are thousands of others every year who's dreams go down the pan and they lose everything, because they're good idea was really pretty stupid.

yes i know what you mean. To an extent he was in a more favorubale position caue he was broke so nothing to lose anyway. For someone who has a house (or two) and a comfy lifestyle, it may not be an attractive proposition to gamble his possessions on something which may not take off.

To be fair to Jack, it's gonna be murder trying to get a loan for the next however many years! You don't have to 'gamble' everything though Jack. If you do have an 'extra' house why not use that house as leverage to get a loan for whatever?

I think highly successful entrepreneurs have a certain mind set. When I started my apprenticeship (just a few years ago...cough cough!), it was with a small engineering company run by two brothers. They were millionaires. They made their money from building innovative products and then selling them on. I think that is the 'trick'. Not unlike the Dragons Den, they looked into things that no one else was/is doing and/or wants to do. They established a method of providing those services and/or manufacturing those products and once they were doing well they sold the intellectual properties on. Unlike most business men they were never interested in growing a business and/or a product. They were interested in making money.

i think if you look at peter jones he made his fortune in the late 90s. An entreprenuer will succeed whatever is in his way.

i think if you look at peter jones he made his fortune in the late 90s. An entreprenuer will succeed whatever is in his way.

Made it, lost it all , made it all back again.

Now that is an entrepreneur.

pure luck,right time,right place.luckey barstewards,
fair play to all of them,hard work and dedication now there reaping there rewards.

Actually I meant 270 lifetimes. A quid per lifetime's nothing to shout about. :LOL:

another way of looking at these so called dragons is they got rich on the hard work and ideas of others

another way of looking at it is they picked up on an idea and pushed it forward and made money, employed people, made money for the country, etc etc etc

Sponsored Links
Back