Durability: Silk or Softsheen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Know the differences between the two but just wanted everyone's opinion about which ones are durable as I'm painting the hall and it's going be high traffic.

Sponsored Links
I would say it’s about the paint brand to determine durability not the finish style. Opt for the main trade paints like johnstones or Leyland which you buy from a paint merchant like Brewers rather then the big sheds like b and q.

However, personally speaking I can’t stand shiny silk or sheen paint on walls. I think it always looks dreadful. Shows up every small imperfection on the wall, scuff, scratch’s and dent (and even any slight imperfections in your rollering technique!)

I would always opt for a high durability Matt finish that can be wiped down - it’s so much more forgiving. But having said that I have never seen anyone wiping down a wall in my life. By the time its looking a little tatty after your kids have dragged their hands over it every day for a year or two it’s as quick to take hour on a Saturday afternoon to repaint that bit of the wall as it is to start trying to wash it all the time.

I agree... don't personally like silk for the reasons you mentioned above.. its just that the Mrs has been going on about silk..

I'm convinced that Matt would look nicer.. any brands you would recommend? I can get from Stax round the corner..

Crown clean extreme.

Johnstones durable matt

Valspar v700

Sponsored Links
I’d sooner contemplate divorcing the mrs than put silk paint on our walls. Thats a red line for me.

good luck

Just a note
Durable matt emulsions don't like dry surfaces like contract matt paint, new plaster, fillers ect.
They have slow drying times.
They have longer than you would expect recoat times.
People slap on with out a thought and get a second coat on too soon then get trouble..
Some emulsions you can use as a primer while others you can't. Read the application data sheet on back of tin.
Some you can add water to while others you can't..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back