Paint: Dulux Silk or Kitchen + (whole house)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting the house painted next week so just need to grab the paint, going to take advantage of the Dulux offer at B&Q at £12 Silk or £15 Kitchen + (after offer).

I am painting the whole house. I have a little one running around so this is the reason for going for the silk/kitchen + for all rooms. So my question, which is tougher and more washable? I spoke to Dulux and they gave me the following response (exact words) when asking the difference between the three:

- Bathroom paint is a soft sheen finish, it has been designed with a MouldTec formulation to protect against mould and is moisture and steam resistant.
- Kitchen paint is a matt finish and is 10 times tougher than our standard Matt or Silk emulsions.
- Silk emulsion has a delicate sheen finish, although not designed to be durable it can withstand light cleaning with warm water and a non-abrasive cloth.

I am moving towards the Kitchen + as they state it is toughest and more importantly matt finish, which will be ideal for the living rooms. What I need to know is how washable it is compared to silk? I currently have Dulux silk in the kitchen for the last 5 years and it has done a good job. For me that is very washable/durable (even though they don't state it on their website).

Anyone had any experience with Kitchen +?

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/products/kitchen-matt

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/products/silk

Sponsored Links
I found Kitchen+ and Bathroom+ to be utter, utter **** when I was convinced by the trade (!!) centre that it would be fine.

Dulux agreed that it was **** after 4 coats, so replaced it all with trade eggshell for the bathroom, and trade diamond matt for the rest.

I always used trade before, and wish I'd never let the 'expert' tell me otherwise.

Spend decent money on decent paint, and your decorator will need to do less coats and get a better finish.

Sponsored Links
Too late. Already bought, will paint this week and let you know how I got on. Maybe and hopefully you just had a bad batch?

I hope so for your sake.

I was changing colours, if you are staying to a similar colour it may be fine. I think it was lacking in pigment - it was a thick enough paint just seemed see-through once applied!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back