Durable satinwood.. Coloured..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I had settled on the Johnsons Aqua Gard paint to paint our banisters, rail, doors etc. In white.

Now my wife has suggested banister rails in a different colour to make it pop. I'm open to the idea but thinking if I did I would try Little Greene intelligent satinwood - I do think their colours are very nice, and I think getting a dark colour would be a better finish than getting something else tinted...

Has anyone got any experience with the Little Green intelligent satinwood? I've used the Intelligent matt emulsion, which I liked.

Got a 5 year old son who's always doing crazy stuff, and a young daughter (not crazy yet, 3 months, give her time lol). So I forsee it getting some abuse!

Sponsored Links
I have used their intelligent matt, a decent paint.

I think you might be on a hiding to nothing if you use waterbased satinwood for the hand rail.

People, naturally, touch hand rails. Water based paints become soft over time if frequently touched because of the oils in our skin. At a minimum, I would recommend that you consider oil based paints for the hand rail.

That said, it might take a handful of years for the paint to fail. If you are happy to repaint the rail frequently it wont be a major issue.

I'd not considered that - ironically mainly because of the yellowing, which obviously doesn't happen if your paint is blue or green lol.

The jury is still out. After sewing the seed in my brain I think my wife is back pedaling.

I think I need to take a picture and try to recolur some bits in paint.net or something to show her and get an idea.

I think it's a cool idea, the white shows marks all the time anyhow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back