durable scratch free eggshell cabinets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
i have gone the diy rout for my kitchen cabinets. i'v constructed the cabinets with 18mm mdf and they look good. im very happy with the results. now for the finish.
i started with an undercoat of white MDF primer using a spraygun. did a few coats of that and sanded it lightly to get a smooth finish.

then i aplied Leyland white Eggshell with a mini roller for the top coat.
the finish is perfect. a factory finish.

now the problem....
the paint has been drying for 24 hours, but still, if i run my nail over the paint it leaves a tacky scratch.

the insides of these cabitets will have to take alot of wear with food cans, plates and all the normal things that go into kitchen cabitets.

how can i get a strong durable scrach free finish? do i need a clear coat? does it need to dry longer? more coats?

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I personally would have used Dulux satinwood. Its very durable. I did my kitchen units about 5 years ago and they still lokk great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back