Painting laminated MDF kitchen cabinet doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some laminated (vinyl type wrap or something) MDF kitchen cabinet doors. some of the MDF around the edges has swelled up from moisture. I intend to sand it down and use some 2 part filler to reshape what I can. I then want to paint the door but unsure what type of paint to use and the correct process to follow.

Do I simply give the doors a light sanding, apply a primer and then top coat with a topcoat. Does the top coat need to be a special finish - sating or eggshell (which is more durable)?

Need to do this on a budget but hard wearing i.e. prevent the paint from peeling off and the MDF from blowing up with moisture. What is a decent brand paint to use for primer and topcoat.

Any help or advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I stuck my vinyl down with clear polymer grab and a few weights until dry.
Superglue cause vinyl to melt so don't use.

Re question.

320grade sand and bullseye 123 will prime doors but allow 7 days to cure as data sheet advises. Then zinsser allcoat.
With good preparation you could just use Zinsser allcoat and skip the primer.
You could also use one of the kitchen cupboard paints DIY sell although I've never used them. They say that will go on fine

I stuck my vinyl down with clear polymer grab and a few weights until dry.
Superglue cause vinyl to melt so don't use.

Re question.

320grade sand and bullseye 123 will prime doors but allow 7 days to cure as data sheet advises. Then zinsser allcoat.
With good preparation you could just use Zinsser allcoat and skip the primer.
You could also use one of the kitchen cupboard paints DIY sell although I've never used them. They say that will go on fine
I've got some bulleye 123 so thats handy. Which zinnser allcoat - oil based or water, interior or exterior? I've got some zinsser allcoat water based exterior?

Water based allcoat can be used inside. Think it says on data sheet

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back