painting mdf kitchen unit doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. iv been doing new kitchen unit door for our kitchen with moisture resistant 18mm mdf. i have used mdf primer and then a water based undercoat.
i now plan to paint them in cream thats oil based.

i dont want these to expand with moisture from cooking, spillage
20170324_205319.jpg
ect so should i seal them with something like pva and if so, will the paint stick to that?

Sponsored Links
Once they've been painted in the oil based paint, you shouldn't have any problems from heat or moisture in the kitchen. But from having read some of the recent paint posts, I'm not sure how well the oil based paint will adher to the water based undercoat. And did you do one or two coats of undercoat.

thanks for the reply. this is my first time doing this so needed to be sure. iv used the recomended undercoat and primer that is mentioned on the top coat tin so hopefully it should be fine then. thanks for the help.
20170416_103144.jpg
20170416_103120.jpg

Sponsored Links
the ones that are fitted have only one top coat on them and all need adjusting and need cornice and pelmet. but a huge improvement. im only doing it this way because we had to spend the money for a new kitchen on a new engine for our ford c max! so this will have to do far a few years now.
20170312_213946.jpg
20170423_130721.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back