Repainting laminated kitchen cupboards

Only with wrong type of roller .

Fair enough....

I used to paint MDF wardrobes and bookcases for a living.

Over a 20+ year period, I only ever saw one other hand painted job that I was seriously impressed with (IMO it was on a par with my work), and I could see that the person didn't use a roller.

I can walk into a house and (in most cases) instantly tell which paint type was used on the kitchen doors/etc. Better quality shaker kitchen doors are sprayed with pre-cat and often hand painted with waterbased paints. When you pay for the likes of SmallBone, the painter doesn't use a roller, he uses a brush.

Sponsored Links
It is a quick dry paint- waterbased. Do not add white spirits.

If you want it to flow and level off, use Floetrol. Floetrol is a must for waterbased paints if you want to get a decent finish- nothing wrong with using a brush- I don't use rollers to paint woodwork.

500ml of Floetrol will cost as much as the tin of paint though. A key ingredient in Floetrol is propylene glycol, you can order that from ebay, it is significantly cheaper.

At a push. You could add a little bit of water. Dulux Trade paints can be thinned by up to 20%, at a guess 10% for Wilko paints.

It's actually a high-VOC paint - annoyingly, I managed to get paint on the 'ingredients' panel on the tin and can't read it and there doesn't appear to be any more info online about the composition of it.

The roller actually works well enough - it's not a mirror-flat gloss, but as this was supposed to be a satin finish (it isn't), the effect works.

It is still a sod to work with: get it right on the first roll/brush or it will not forgive you.

If I did want to thin it, any recommendations on how much white spirit to add to it? Just to touch-up a couple of areas I am not happy with, but don't want to do the whole panel again (or am I out of luck?)

I am confused. I assumed that the quick dry part means that it is waterbased.

Thus far have you been cleaning brushes and rollers using white spirit?

It is annoying that the Wilko site doesn't have a MSDS certificate (material safety data sheets). It is even more annoying that their website tells you chuff all about the product.

I guess you will need to contact them or take a photo in store

It looks like Wilko paint is manufactured by PPG (the same company who make Johnstone’s and Leyland), but I guess that they may use more than one manufacturer for their whole range.

I am confused. I assumed that the quick dry part means that it is waterbased.

Thus far have you been cleaning brushes and rollers using white spirit?

It is annoying that the Wilko site doesn't have a MSDS certificate (material safety data sheets). It is even more annoying that their website tells you chuff all about the product.

I guess you will need to contact them or take a photo in store

It looks like Wilko paint is manufactured by PPG (the same company who make Johnstone’s and Leyland), but I guess that they may use more than one manufacturer for their whole range.

Yup, it is solvent based: 25-50% VOC according the bit of the label I didn't cover up. White spirits to wash brushes.

Warning: Flammable liquid and vapour. Contains 2-butanone oxime and Cobalt bis(2-ethyl hexanoate). May produce an allergic reaction. Warning! Hazardous respirable droplets may be formed when sprayed. Do not breathe spray or mist. If medical advice is needed, have a product container or label to hand. Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking. Keep the container tightly closed. Store in a well-ventilated place, and keep cool. Do not get in the eyes, on the skin, or on clothing. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do so. Continue rinsing. IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of water. Do not wash with solvent thinners or white spirit. IF SWALLOWED: Call a POISON CENTRE or doctor if you feel unwell. Ensure maximum ventilation during application and drying. When applying by brush or roller to large interior surfaces or in confined spaces, wear a suitable cartridge respirator or air-fed respiratory protective equipment. Dispose of contents/containers to waste disposal sites in accordance with local/national regulations. Safety data sheet available on request.

It is very gloopy stuff. You can lay down a coat, but if you are unhappy with a patch and want to put down some more, you have about 2 mins after first application to go over it again, else the next brushstroke will not blend with the existing one and remains as a step.

Sponsored Links
Yup, it is solvent based: 25-50% VOC according the bit of the label I didn't cover up. White spirits to wash brushes.

Warning: Flammable liquid and vapour. Contains 2-butanone oxime and Cobalt bis(2-ethyl hexanoate). May produce an allergic reaction. Warning! Hazardous respirable droplets may be formed when sprayed. Do not breathe spray or mist. If medical advice is needed, have a product container or label to hand. Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking. Keep the container tightly closed. Store in a well-ventilated place, and keep cool. Do not get in the eyes, on the skin, or on clothing. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do so. Continue rinsing. IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of water. Do not wash with solvent thinners or white spirit. IF SWALLOWED: Call a POISON CENTRE or doctor if you feel unwell. Ensure maximum ventilation during application and drying. When applying by brush or roller to large interior surfaces or in confined spaces, wear a suitable cartridge respirator or air-fed respiratory protective equipment. Dispose of contents/containers to waste disposal sites in accordance with local/national regulations. Safety data sheet available on request.

It is very gloopy stuff. You can lay down a coat, but if you are unhappy with a patch and want to put down some more, you have about 2 mins after first application to go over it again, else the next brushstroke will not blend with the existing one and remains as a step.

Thanks for the clarification.

I use Owatrol oil (and a bit of white spirit) to help oil based paints flow, that said, about 18 years ago I came across an oil based paint (provided by the customer) which didn't benefit from the addition of Owatrol oil. No idea why.... The largest single sheet of MDF that I have handed painted was 10ft tall by 5ft. The Owatrol enabled me to maintain parallel tramlines from the top to the bottom of the sheet, providing the quality of finish that I aim for. It would not have been possible to do that using white spirit only, unless one was willing to apply 10(?) very thin top coats. I used two top coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back