Priming laminate cupboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have decided to paint my old kitchen cupboards, the surface on them is laminate. I just want to paint the sides. I have chosen a light grey in gloss. Is it ok to use pva as a primer?

Sponsored Links
I would buy a paint primer from your local diy shop! A suitable paint primer for your job. The staff in shop will show you what you need. Pva should never be used as a paint primer!

Good luck!! :)

Sponsored Links
One of the simplest products for this job is ESP from Owatrol.

http://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/item.php?stock=11

I've also used Dulux SuperGrip primer which is good but really needs the surface to be keyed lightly with fine sandpaper (300 wet and dry) before application, otherwise it can scratch off.

Zinsser B-I-N is excellent but much trickier to use on large surface areas as it dries so quickly.

Cool thanks, when painting the gloss... Should I use a gloss roller? Or just a brush?

Zinsser cover stain, the oil based version is often recommended as a primer, and the primer coat is the most important one so do it right !

A thorough degrease first then a good sand down with 180 or 240 grit followed by a primer. Sanding between coats is well worth the effort. Hoover the entire room better then it has ever been hoovered - dust will show up so badly - you have been warned. Use tack rags to wipe over the doors.

I would suggest rolling on the paint then laying off with a very good brush but in a dust-free room - spray the air with a mist of water to help settle any airborne dust, keeping doors and windows shut.
You will soon see that my comments about dust are to be taken seriously and you cannot overdo the hoovering - a new filter, if possible a hepa filter may be worth the cost.
A decent masking tape such as frogtape or 3m blue will help - cheap ones allow too much creeping..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back