Durgo and or AAV,s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am increasingly confused as to the use of and position of said valves to eliminate smell from soil pipe in bathroom extention. Here is the layout. Soil pipe runs up from the open septic tank and into the new bathroom build which is approx 15 metres from the tank and is the first port of call on the system. However, I will add there is another two external stacks on the soil system that exit through the roof on the far side of the house.

However, in the first bathroom nearest the septic tank the 4 inch soil pipe comes in through the wall at ground level and runs approx 4 metres in a straight horizontal line under the tiled floor. It has 2 boss connections and off this runs shower, bath and sink, all of which as hepvo valves fitted and there is no smell from them whatsoever.

The soil pipe then makes a 90 degree turn and connects up the floor the the toilet. Next to this connection is another 4 inch bend facing vertical and it has an adaptor(reducing) cap which off of it has been fitted a length of 40mm pipe which rises about 1 and half metres and is above the highest wet point. On top it has a 40mm durgo or aav ( dont really know what it is supposed to be called) This setup runs inside a drywall and at durgo level a vent has been fitted in the drywall to allow air flow.

The problem is that it stinks. It is really a foul smell and all of this is a new build and new plumbing. Should or could this vent pipe have been bigger in diameter with a bigger valve? could it have been run straight up the drywall into the loft space? Is it the wrong valve? I ask because after a lot of reading there appears to be a variety of these valves with differing properties and best uses and positions. I need to get rid of this smell pronto.

Thanks very much

Johno

Sponsored Links
Probably a dicky valve but it should be a minimum of 3" pipe to comply with building regs in any case, so it needs ripping out and replacing

Thanks for that. 3" would be the maximum I could fit in the drywall as it it too narrow for 4". thats why I was wondering about feeding it up into the loft space where I could adapt if back to 4" if this would be beneficial?

Sponsored Links
If this bathroom is on the ground floor, then may not be a need to ventilate the drain at all. There is adequate ventilation elsewhere on the system at the highest point. If it stinks that badly, then something is wrong, i'd be looking to get the installer back to find out whats going on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back