Durgo or no-go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am becoming increasingly confused as to where a Durgo can/can't be used.

My bathroom has a 110mm soil pipe running down through the roof, loft, bathroom, cupboard downstairs and into a clay drain in the concrete floor of said cupboard. It then runs out below the front of the house for about 8 feet, into a rectangular chamber with a cast iron lid, where it joins the drains from the "upstream" houses.

We want to liberate some bathroom wall and corner space, but going outside with the vent section could be problematic. Marley's 82mm Durgo says it can be placed lower than the110mm version.

Some people say not to use a valve unless there is a proper vent somewhere else on the system, but they are clearly being sold as an alternative to venting. (e.g. Wickes leaflet 73).

My bathroom set up looks like this apart from the fact the svp continues through my roof and the basin waste follows the red line. Can I / should I use a Durgo valve here, and if so does anybody know what the lower height would be for an 82mm version? And why the different heights?

Any definitive expert help would be greatly appreciated, as there seem to be plenty of conflicting opinions about these devices. Thanks in advance.View media item 22180

Sponsored Links
i'm no expert...just an ordinary plumber, but id say it would have to go above the spill over on the toilet (as toilet branch is the last one) so if the toilet pipe blocks it would spill over into the bathroom where its seen...and not into the durgo u might have boxed in...and go unnoticed

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, just had an email from Marley saying their 82mm durgo can go as low as 256mm from centre of branch to top of valve. It'll hardly poke it's head above the bathroom floor! Anybody know why Marley stuff is so much dearer than ,say, Floplast? And while I'm here, what's the best method/product for cleaning up existing mupvc soil pipes before solvent welding a boss on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back