"Dusty" mold on wood/fabrics

O

oceanclub

I'm living in an rented apartment which I wouldn't consider damp at all. There's no visible damp, we keep kitchen and bathroom doors shut during use, they both have extracter fans, etc.

However, a kind of grey dusty mold is appearing lately. It mainly appears on a wooden mantelpiece and dining table - strangely, a nearby coffee table is never affected. Also, on some fabrics - for example, a leather CD holder.

The pictures below show the mold as I originally saw it - the table leg was against the wall so I hadn't noticed, and it looks far more visible in flash photography:

I've cleaned it off, but after a month or two it will come back - a lot less than in the pictures, but still visible.

Anyone know what steps I can take? Is there a way of treating objects that have already been affected to stop it reoccuring - I presume that simply wiping the objects doesn't get rid of all traces of mold.

Also, would a dehumidifier help? We don't have a tumble dryer, so I presume that drying clothes on a clothes rack in the living room doesn't help!

Thanks,

P.

Sponsored Links
shiny surfaces will collect the dampness and mold where theres no airflow

so wheres there is damp move the furniture off the wall to allow air flow

you need to go for a combination off airing and warming to remove the dampness

ocean - you've answered your own question ...

"so I presume that drying clothes on a clothes rack in the living room doesn't help!"

You're creating a moisture rich atmosphere in which mould will develop; get a tumble dryer (exhaust it outside), dry the clobber on a garden clothes line, or as a last resort ... clothes horse in bathroom with your extractor fan going.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back