DVD recorder retuning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Sony DVD recorder which i use to record from the TV channels 1 to 9 with 9 being used to record from Sky but with the digital switchover do i need to retune the DVD recorder as there is a lot more digital channels to select from?

Sponsored Links
Likely you can't. I have an old DVD recorder and it will record from sky or firewire with Camcorder even record from another DVD but to record from Freeview you need a digital box (digibox) and so all the channel selection is done in the digibox not the DVD recorder.

I have a free to air (satellite) box that will allow me to set when it switches on and what channel it switches on to so I can use that with the DVD recorder but it means setting up both.

The RF outputs from Sky or any other device is a problem as you can't see analogue signals when on digital or visa versa so all too easy to block the signals.

My DVD recorder first records onto a hard drive so I can trim off unwanted bits but the one before that did not. I found that a 30 min program needs at least 40 min of space likely more.

Now it all works great after ditching freeview and using satellite only but freeview is a real problem every time I switched on it seemed to want to re-turn and it kept swapping channels around so to me where I can receive many transmitters freeview is useless to record with as when you get home you have 1/2 an hour of do you want to return written across the screen rather than the program you selected.

I am getting freeview through the TV which is built in, does this make a difference

Sponsored Links
No because your DVD recorder doesn't have Freeview built in. It's analogue only.

However, if the DVD can record from its Scart input and IF the TV has a Scart output, you should be able to record the programme you are watching on TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back