dydd dewi sant hapus

Sponsored Links
thank you swelec.....
I had never heard of this. could/would you give me a little history lesson?
is this always march 1? in celebration of daffodils....or St David being represented by daffodils or neither? :confused:

Saint David

Patron Saint of Wales

Daffodil/ Leek/ Dragon are all national symbols of Wales

Always March 1st

Saint Patricks day March 17th - Patron Saint of Ireland

Saint Georges Day April 23rd - Patron Saint of England

Saint Andrews day 30th November - Patron Saint of Scotland

I will get some flack for this, but different nations celebrate to differing degrees

I think the Irish closely folowed by the Welsh are probably more fervent in their celebrations followed by Scotland who I think celebrate Burns Night more !!!!!!!

And definitely in last place are the English who seem to be embaressed about their heritage :) :) :) :) :) :)

Dydd Dewi Sant hapus = Day David Saint Happy ( its in the language of Wales or Welsh) We tend to mix things up to confuse the English

swelec said:
And definitely in last place are the English who seem to be embaressed about their heritage :) :) :) :) :) :)
The English are definitely the least Nationalistic, and feel totally secure in their nationality, so are quite comfortable receiving vast numbers of the other Britons into their country. As they feel unthreatened they feel no need to assert their different-ness

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
swelec said:
The English are definitely the least Nationalistic, and feel totally secure in their nationality, so are quite comfortable receiving vast numbers of the other Britons into their country. As they feel unthreatened they feel no need to assert their different-ness

Oh dear do I detect a barrier of self defence going up there?

I am Welsh and have lived in England for most of my married life (in fact, over half my life now :eek: ). I have loads of English friends and even they can't believe how much we celebrate our Welshness and how patriotic we are. Us Welshies usually have symbols of our Welshness in our homes & most of us own at least one 'Ddraig goch' (the Welsh flag). It's not a case of being secure in our nationality it's about being proud of our nationality. We Welshies accept all comers from all nations into Wales with no problems.

Since when did you ever hear of race riots in Wales? I think Welsh people are the least racist in the UK. Tbh, if you are eluding to the burning of the holiday homes in the 1980's most of us were as disgusted as the English were. However, whilst we did not agree with their actions we could also understand why they did it. Small villages where generations of families have lived were suddenly being sold out to 'outsiders' to be used for about 4 mths of the year as holiday homes - no chance of the next generation being able to afford to buy....

I used to live in a small English village and the feeling there was similar. NONE of us wanted people to sell their homes as holiday lets and in fact, of those that did they suffered break-ins just to trash the places and graffiti sprayed all over their walls :rolleyes:

Sooooooooooooo, doesn't matter which side of the border you live, there are always the extremists - it's just the Welsh are more passionate!

Anyway, Dydd Dewi Ssant Hapus I Chi :D :D :D :D :D

And now I can show off my own 'Ddriag goch'.....

Dragon020902.jpg

I bet you couldn't sit down for a week after that tattoo.

Brightness

I come from a family of 7 children

My oldest brother lives in Ireland, my youngest lives near York

The rest of us still live in a 10 mile radius of each other, 4 of us still in the town we were born and we are all in our fourties/early fifties

Don't think I will ever emigrate across the border

swelec said:
Brightness

I come from a family of 7 children

My oldest brother lives in Ireland, my youngest lives near York

The rest of us still live in a 10 mile radius of each other, 4 of us still in the town we were born and we are all in our fourties/early fifties

Don't think I will ever emigrate across the border

That's 'cos its closed now. :D

closed both ways????

no loss to us

saves you paying your toll fee to ENTER Gods country on the severn bridge

:D :D :D :D :D

swelec said:
closed both ways????

no loss to us

saves you paying your toll fee to ENTER Gods country on the severn bridge

:D :D :D :D :D

God's too busy in Yorkshire to visit you heathens. :D

OMG how dare you call us heathens???? At least we have PROPER rugby !!!!

Swelec, we had no choice in moving out of Wales. It's hubbies job that made us leave. Saying that, where we live now, there are probably more Welsh people than English hahaha

I was sat in my car waiting for my youngest to come out of school the other night when this lady knocked on my window. I thought she was going to tell me to move from in front of her house or summat but no, she asked me where in Wales I was from! I asked her how she knew I was from Wales and she replied that she'd noticed the dragon on the back of my car.

I told her where I was from and she knew it well. She was a relation of my old next door neighbour and invited me for coffee with her LOL

How many English people would do that?

if these birthplaces are so wonderful why do people run away as soon as they get a chance ,lol

Wales ...lol
should be dipped in the sea for an hour an then it would be ok place, wash away all the dole scroungers ..lol..lol :) ;)

Brightness said:
It's hubbies job that made us leave. Saying that, where we live now, there are probably more Welsh people than English hahaha

That's 'cos there ain't anything to work for in wales, slag heaps, unemployment, a few crap mountains, sheep sh@ggers and Charlotte Church. 'bout time us Anglo Saxon conquerors shoved you stunted celts back where you belong again. :D (I know you'r sensitive, so just to let you know, I'm having a laugh!) I can't stand the Welsh in reality!!

Sponsored Links
Back