DYEING CONCRETE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some existing and some new concrete features in my home. I want to colour them in something other than the boring grey of concrete, having an appearance like stone so I do not want to use paint.

There are some companies selling dyes, such as water based colours that can be applied to concrete. They say the dye gets absorbed by the concrete. The question is: are the dyes really going to last? These concrete features are outdoors (like in a fence) but they are not subject to wear like people walking on them.

Any people wit experience on this? ta

Sponsored Links
mate made a "step" (like where you would put a door mat)

its sill pink and black after about 20 years, they put the dye from builders merchant in the mix, not on top

it mostly pink with a black diamond shape in the middle

As Breezer says . its supposed to be mixed in. But last time I dd some flaunching with black dye some dyed water escaped onto surrounding concrete :oops: But hey! it did colour it lol, might be worth an experiment to see what happens unless building guys know better ;)

You could try really ****ing out some masonry paint and giving it a few coats of that.

Sponsored Links
I have used colour concrete dyes in the past .....

concrete the area an inch below normally, then while still wet do a mix with your water,dye, pva , use one bucket as a measure then you get a uniform colour on the finish slab
hope this helps
I have done many old reinstatements that are 20 year old an still they are looking good ...;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back