Tinting emulsion paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I remember several years ago buying a product which looked like a syringe full of dye, which you added to white emulsion to make your own shade. This was available in many colours. Does anyone know if it is still available anywhere, as I can't find it in B&Q etc. I just want some grey emulsion, but don't want to pay £28 for 5litres to have it mixed for me by a spotty youth!
Someone told me that Focus sell Black emulsion (!). If I mixed that with white emulsion, would I get grey?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Officially, it's not supposed to be a good idea to mix different brands of emulsion paint or even different lines of emulsion paint of the same brand, such as a lower and higher priced line made by the same company.

The reason given for this is because of potential incompatabilities between the additives that are used in the different paints, and if there are such incompatabilities, the problem you get is called "flashing" and it is typically characterized by the resultant painted surfaces not being of uniform gloss.

You can, however, mix different paints within the same line from the same manufacturer. That is, you could mix a flat white and a gloss red from the same line of paint made by the same manufacturer to make a satin pink.

And, you are correct that by mixing white and black paint you will get a grey paint. (That's cuz the colors in the paints come from pigments, which are tiny colored solid particles, so the colors are additive.)

But, with all that said, the City of Seattle in Washington state put on a conservation program whereby people were encouraged to donate their old emulsion paints rather than dispose of them in the landfills. The City then mixed all of the donated emulsion paints together to make an "off grey colour in the green direction (which was subsequently christened "Seattle Green") which was given away free of charge to anyone in need of cheap emulsion paint. And supposedly, no one had a problem with flashing in that Seattle Green paint. So, all I can say is, officially it's not recommended, but 10,000 gallons of the ugliest green paint you ever saw can't all be wrong.

I would just take your white paint to any paint store that sells that brand of paint and ask them to tint it grey for you. They'd hardly want to charge you for the cost of the tiny bit of colorant they add. Maybe offer to toss a "quid" (whatever that is) into their coffee money or Christmas Party fund collection of they tint your paint black for you. I expect 99 places out of 100 would do it for you no charge.

I still have one of those syringes with blue dye in it!...you cant get them anymore.

Nester is right about mixing different brands of paint...if there is a chemical reaction then you have no come backs...

That said...i have NEVER seen it happen...ever.

I, like most painters have mixed crown dulux johnstones permaglaze etctogether without any problems..and I have used leyland to thin it out!!

The only one thats risky is Sikkens paint...they use different inders and mediums (the stuff the pigment floats in) ...i have seen sikkens applied over dulux undercoat and it caused it to bubble up!

Buy yourself a tin of white and ask for a litre of matt emulsion (black or dark grey) pour some of the white into a container...add some colour...then more white...more colour and so on...it will ix easier that way.

Your have to be careful using black emulsion though...some black pigents have a bluish tinge...some have a brown ish tinge...go for a dark grey..that way you should get a measure of what the colour will be like.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. Only just been able to check replies as I've been off-line for a few days. I will proceed with caution as suggested!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back