Tinting matt emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I hope someone can offer some advice.

I'm looking to repaint a large bedroom with matt emulsion. It needs to be a green colour but, despite all the thousands of different green emulsions on offer from the likes of Dulux, Crown, Paint&paper library, Little Greene, Farrow and Ball, Sanderson, etc, I cannot find exactly the shade I'm after.

I've picked up around 12 tester pots and have used them to paint sheets of A0 size white paper which I then blu-tak to the walls to see how they look.

I've found a shade that I quite like (Little Green 'Kitchen Green 85') but I feel that although the brightness is good for the room, and although the shade is right in terms of being not too blue and not too yellow, there's too much 'colour' in it. What I mean is that if it was a colour on my TV, I'd like to turn the colour adjustment down a bit!

Could I mix a small amount of a neutral colour into the tester in order to tint it how I want it to look? I've added white emulsion and black emulsion to colours in the past to lighten and darken them and have even added blue to a green-grey paint to give it the hint of blue I wanted.

Would I be right in thinking that just adding pure black or white to this green would just mess with the lightness of the paint (which I don't want to do) and therefore the thing to do is to mix a neutral grey (from black and white) until it's roughly the same 'lightness' as the green and then slowly add a small amount of the grey to the green to 'desaturate' the green without messing with the lightness?

Given that these are just testers I've not got much to lose and am always up for dabbling but it would be great news if someone could confirm that I'm on the right track!

Many thanks as always folks!
Andy

Sponsored Links
Little green colours are very vibrant and deep because of the pigment used. A simpler solution could be to take one of your paper samples into a store and have it screened and colour matched. I think homebase do it in dulux as saw an ad on the tv for it. Go for a simple vinyl matt, the dulux pigment wont be nearly as good and could be what your looking for, worth a try i reckon.

Good advice - I might try giving that a go. Mind you, when I wanted a colour matched from a tiny little 1-inch square swatch that didn't have a Dulux equivalent, they did an impressively good job of pretty much nailing it! :)

Anyone else got any thoughts in the meantime? :)

Thanks,
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back