Matt Emulsion Recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - could anyone recommend a good matt emulsion paint brand please?
I am on the verge of buying the valspar premium stuff from B&Q and have heard mixed reviews. Colours being used are light blue, light grey, cream and olive green.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I tend to stick with Dulux Trade matt. It is pretty consistent.

Never tried Valspar- I try to avoid DIY sheds. By all accounts they do make some good but very expensive premium paints, not the type sold by the likes of B&Q though.

If you want any of the colours to have a dusty/v flat finish then consider Farrow And Ball (seldom that I recommend their emulsion but most other matt paints are less matt).

If you are price conscious and don't mind possibly having to apply an additional coat- consider Leyland Trade.

Crown Trade- used it last year and wasted hours removing the gloopy phlegm-like white paint that slides in to the newly mixed tin from the lid.

Johnstones- haven't used it for years because it was marginally better than coloured water.

Others may care to disagree with me though.

I did OK with cheap Armstead 10l matt from a trade centre.... £20 for 10L before VAT. Used it for ceiling finish coat, and watered down as a ist coat on all new surfaces.

I’m looking at using Dulux diamond Matt but seen mixed reviews on application so looking at other paints that are easy to clean. Has anyone any views on Johnstones durable compared with the Dulux.

Sponsored Links
I've just waxed a few pennies today on Dulux Trade Diamond Matt and Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt, Homebase currently have 3 for 2 on all paint so worked out pretty good for Six tins.

Both were recommendations from a good friend in the trade, he actually mentioned the Johnstone's durable and said it was on par with the Diamond Matt but Homebase didn't stock it so the decision was made for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back