Valspar problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
B&Q is finally open and I was surprised to find the valspar desk was staffed too. I bought a dark grey paint (manhattan high rise) for a ceiling and what I thought was a deep red (Planet fever) for the walls, both V700 Matt wall & ceiling.

The grey has a sheen to it and it's showing up all the ceiling blemishes. I checked the barcode label on the tub and it's definitely meant to be matt.

I tried the red on the walls and it's less deep and more vibrant than I expected, and after 2 coats it's still patchy (wall was white). It'll need at least another coat.

I'm not a novice and I've been using valspar emulsion for years but this is the first time I've tried red or a very dark grey. Previously I've had greens, greys, blues no trouble at all with only 2 coats. I usually buy tester pots and hone in on the perfect colour but this time I took a punt bc I didn't want to queue to get back into b&q. Now that's looking like an expensive mistake.

Has anyone else noticed that some of the valspar colours are not as matt as they should be, or that the coverage of red is not as good as the other colours?

Sponsored Links
I've done some more research and found that red paint is notoriously difficult to get a good finish with. I should have used a dark grey base coat first to block out the white, which would have meant 2 coats of red would probably have done it, rather than 4+ coats of red onto a white wall. But anyway, after painting the room red I've realised that it looks dated and I'm gonna have to start from scratch with a new colour scheme, so it's a disaster all round really.

But on the plus side, I have learnt something. And if I'm going to waste my time repainting the same room this is the best time to do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back