EADS instead of EEBADS ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If i have an installation with no water, gas services ... then there are no equipotential bonds in place .... would this still count as EEBADS as the method of protection again indirect contact ?

If EEBADS is not correct, then what would be ? :oops:

EADS - earthing and automatic disconnection of supply ?

or is there another method involving just Earthing and MCB/RCDs

any help would be great

Sponsored Links
no its a small installation as a practical at college .... so no water/gas .... its like a mini installation

Sponsored Links
what must be bonded if there is no services to bond to ?

On a recent (well last year) install we did, there were no extraneous parts.

It was a small wooden building with no services at all. It was a wave recording room, so had only a few LV cables leaving the room to sensors.

We provided a CU connected to a DNO main. We fitted a light and two socket circuits. That was it.

NIC chose it as a job to look at, and where my form fill software had auto filled the EEBADS, he commented and said it should be ADS.

I think I'd still go for EEBADS as this is what the form of protection against indirect contact is called in BS7671.

If there is no earthed equipotential bonding...then you cannot class the protection for indirect contact as EEBADS.
As i would see it and this is a pretty rare case, id say RCD`S would need to in place for protection.
This is a top question and any member not sure and is a member of the NICEIC, as i am,should contact NICEIC techline and ask them the OP`s question.

P.S I have the answer in a book at work so will post back tomorrow.
:oops: sorry ...didnt see LECTRICIANS post...he is exactly right and if the installation has NO extraneous conductive parts at all and therefor NO main equipotential bonding,then the method of protection should be known as ADS.

but as i have earthed metallic conduit, trunking and back boxes, then it is EADS ? or just ADS ?

festa said:
If there is no earthed equipotential bonding...then you cannot class the protection for indirect contact as EEBADS.
As i would see it and this is a pretty rare case, id say RCD`S would need to in place for protection.

So given that there are no extraneous conductive parts, which regs for the method of protection against indirect contact would you follow in the brown book?
Why the RCDs?

Like i say ...books at work so will check tomorrow but.........
from what a can remember EEBADS is split into 3 parts
1.Earthing of exposed-conductive-parts
2.Earthing ot extraneous-conductive -parts
3.Automatic disconnection of supply
So...as the OP (at first) didn't mention either exposed OR extraneous conductive parts then the only part of EEBADS you have left is the Automatic disconnection of supply,which is fulfilled by means of an MCB(overcurrent protective device) or an RCD (in the event of a fault to earth),in the required time.
Now depending who you are registered with,some `may` pick up on the wording you use to describe the form of protection used against indirect contact ,as LECTRICIAN said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back