Earth bonding notices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:) Had a corgi inspection recently and did not have an earth bonding notices for gas meters (no bonding fitted) does any one have a copy that i can print of and give to customers.email in profile

:cry: failed install on condense pipe external in 21mm and lagged, m/i recommend 32mm external (baxi) also had to call out transco to attend to meter govenor seal missing and fitted on 2 flexis poor transco guy attended 4 hours later at 19.00

Sponsored Links
corgigazza said:
:) Had a corgi inspection recently and did not have an earth bonding notices for gas meters (no bonding fitted) does any one have a copy that i can print off and give to customers.email in profile

Theres one in the dogs handbook you could scan in and enlarge.
Apart from that if you do get one pls pass it on :) email in profile ;)

....and you will receive

The gas installation pipe fitted to your premises/property does not appear to be fitted with main equipotential bonding to the main earth terminal of your electrical installation.

I am required by the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations to inform you that this does not comply with the current regulations. It also does not comply with the current Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE) Wiring Regulations (BS7671).

I advise you that this missing safety feature should be fitted.

Obvious question, why dont you buy one of the earth Bonding pads like everyone else?

I am not convinced that you legally need to use the pad, I would have thought that any written notification would suffice although the pad is the obvious choice with the duplicate. I have seen cards used by Transco.

The usual wording I have most often seen ends something like" You should get a competent electrician to check your installation".

I am a little confused by the two flexible gas connectors. As I remember the flexible is only allowed on the inlet side and the one on outlet is the owners responsibility to remove. Merely replacing a regulator seal is not an emergency and transco would not normally attend the same day, if ever.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
I'd say two flexies is Very Common. I prodded a corgi tech bloke on their precise use, and he wasn't sure!

There's a stronger argument than before, for one of us merely gas qualified, to say that the installation needs to be checked by a sparks. We don't have the kit to decide whether the earth is any good or not. That warning goes on all my bills for LGSR's.

the meter was fixed on one flex inlet one flex outlet and meter seal missing the corgi inspector was more worried by the missing meter seal, notified tranco who then put if down to a safety check to attend within 4 hours, phoned up on fri to report missing main control valve lever and meter seal, they then said it was a controlled escape and had to attend within 2 hours. How many gas fitters remove meter seal and set regulators when overpressure rather than capping supply and returning later to recommision appliances ;) As to why not issue duplicate bonding notice what more paperwork!

Came across a meter with flexies fitted on both sides once, I was installing CH, customer told me it was fitted by BG, it was a prepayment meter and I accidentally got it locked up while purging, the misery that turned up to unlock it told me it shouldn't be like that, I said I know, your guys fitted it that way, he said I should alter it, I said I dont correct anybody elses faulty work especially Bg's without payment, he was even less friendly at that remark, I said if he wanted to do it to feel free, he declined, I finished the CH job, tigtness test was sound and left it, so I guess it is still the same, ahhhhhhhhh bless.

Corgi person, my copy of essential Gas Safety says thay you should keep a copy of any warning notices for the office file.

This is to prove that in the case of any subsequent accident or fatility then you have proof that you discharged your responsibilities correctly.

Have you kept your registration following the inspection?

Tony Glazier

Thats my point the amount of paperwork now, undersized ventilation notice, earth bonding notice, gas hob no isolator notice, gas fire with ceiling room fan, cap fire until fan removed.

corgi inspection will not stop deaths just reduce them, when inspector came round he told me about flueless fire fitted with 100cm vent behind fire and the corgi installer had not checked the burner pressure because mi said it was factory set(no gas rate done) 6 months later burner pressure was set wrong at factory 10mb over and flame chill happened due to incorrect air vent position, cat converter could not cope, no co alarm fitted with the result of one fatiltity and cori person in deep S***T, so all you diy's thinking of installing your own appiances think again.

corgigazza said:
... burner pressure was set wrong at factory 10mb over...

I would have thought that corgi person in deep doo doo would then claim on manufacturer who had made the fire with the incorrect setting. In fact manufacturer would be in even deeper doo doo because it would not be just one fire, but all their fires (or that batch).

corgigazza said:
no co alarm fitted with the result of one fatiltity

Is it a CORGI requirement to install CO alarms? If not why not, when there is so much double checking and double failsafe procedures. :confused:

corgigazza said:
so all you diy's thinking of installing your own appiances think again.

But you've just said it was the CORGI registered persion who is in trouble, so I would have thought that the warning should be that all you CORGI people thinking of installing fires, ignore the manufacturer's instructions and double check yourself. :D :D :D :D

Jon, I assume you are not CORGI registered because if you were you would know that when installing a gas appliance one essential feature is to measure the burner pressure ( or power input ).

Unfortunately this installer did not bother because the MI said it was set at the manufacturer. He should still have checked it !!!

Any diligent installer will ALWAYS check it. Any appliance in transit is subjected to vibration and shocks which can alter the setting as well as loosen parts so on installation the constituent parts must always be checked to make sure they have not been dislodged or damaged.

The careless attitude of this installer got him what he deserved but that is too late for the poor unfortunate who was killed by his carelessness.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back