earth bonding gas pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new gas hob fitted and installer pointed out that gas supply was not earth bonded within 600mm of meter. From the meter there is approx 2metres of lead pipe which then joins to copper where the earth wire is attached.

Some questions ....

Is it possible to bond to lead pipe or will I need to have the lead replaced with copper?

Is the actual bonding a plumber or electricians job, or is it a diy job?

Sponsored Links
Has to be done by a Sparky with Part P accreditation ;)

As bondin isn't notifiable work in any way,technically it's outside the scope of part p,therefore it can be carried out by the bin man as long as henknows the requirements.

Normally 10mm min within 600mm of gas meter or point of entry,before any tee in the gas pipe.

Sponsored Links
Has to be done by a Sparky with Part P accreditation ;)

As bondin isn't notifiable work in any way,technically it's outside the scope of part p,therefore it can be carried out by the bin man as long as henknows the requirements.

Normally 10mm min within 600mm of gas meter or point of entry,before any tee in the gas pipe.

Exactly what you put and i have my Part P, legislation states that it should be 600mm where practiable, or as close as possible to point of entry before any T in the pipework so i souldnt worry mate

Its not advisable to bond onto the lead. Assuming an earth clamp (BS951) has been used.

I think BS7671 states,

"Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600mm".

This is not always possible / practicable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back