Earth bonding affected by section of plastic pipe?

acs-newbie said:
i would bridge the plastic just to protect against the fact that the bonding ( after the plastic section ) could be disconnected at a later date either for repairs to be carried out or by a person who doesn't know better. The water in the pipe is capable of conducting electricity and therefore should be treated as such. I went to a property that had live pipes which turned out to be the pump in the dishwasher that was faulty and electrfied the water in the whole house !! Despite what the regs say you can never be too causious so i would bridge it.

if you take time to read the regs you will see that in doing this you may be turning a safe installation into a potentially unsafe one

have a read

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for all the helpful input. Filtering the various responses, my understanding is that I do not need to add any earth bonding, nor to bridge the section of plastic pipe.

The copper main will run into plastic literally as soon as it enters the house; I plan to re-postition the stopcock further along the mains run (i.e. within in the plastic section) to make it more accessible than its current location. I guess its a whole new question to ask whether moving the stopcock could create any problems... :) Thanks again for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back