Earth bonding affected by section of plastic pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this would make more sense in the electrics sections but here goes... I am about to gut and refit my kitchen, and as a fairly novice plumbing DIY-er it would make it a lot easier if I can use plastic pipe. The water main enters the house in the kitchen via copper pipe, and I plan to chop it off at this point and run plastic around the kitchen and then rejoin the copper as it leaves the kitchen and goes onwards to the boiler and bathroom. The copper beyond the kitchen is earth bonded back to the consumer unit, so my question is... does it matter (from an earth bonding point of view) that the kitchen pipework is in plastic? I have spent a long term searching for "earth bonding" but can't find an answer that fits my question. Thanks

Sponsored Links
theres no need to suplmentary bond plastic pipe and you wouldn't do it in the kitchen anyway.Main earth bonding is different and normally is done within 600mm of the stop tap on copper.

Hi

IMO and my interpretation of regs it should be bonded.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Good link corgiman, sparky did well putting that on here. There can be no arguing now. :LOL:

As i understand it, you should bridge the plastic pipe as the rest of the copper pipe work in the system will not be bonded to earth (your bath for instance may rely on the continuity of the copper pipe for earthing), also bond the sink (if conductive) to the bonded copper pipe.
apparently 10mm for main bonding (initial cold mains and gas pipe to consumer unit, and 4mm for cross bonding - in your case bridge in 10mm - but check with a sparky).

bster, the guy is asking about the kitchen. there is no need to supp bond a kitchen(removed during 15th edition): The main bonding should be done at stop tap you should bridge the plastic like you have stated but you dont take any supp bonding back to the meter. the idea is to create a zone of equipotential in the bath room. Read corgimans link ther should be no arguing Paul cook is highly respected within the IEE.10mm is used based on meter tails being 25mm and 4mm for supp respectively. but could in theory be 16 and 6.

If your bath(or whatever) is bonded to hot and colds and the cold is taken back to the consumer unit\meter, you insert plastic pipe after the main bonding and before any tee's\takeoffs..then the bath is not bonded.
i or ni?

I'm not saying i'm right, i'm saying what i'd do.

Sorry folks ;)

Just re-read OP.

missed the bit about the rest of pipework is bonded :oops:

Thats why i earn £3:75\hr i suppose :cry:

bster i have edited my post for being slightly harsh, the guy has stated that after the plastic the copper is bonded to the MET and therefore meets the regs. The bit before the plastic should also be bonded.You are correct in your point that the portion of plastic would break that bond. theres again though a huge difference between main bonding and supp bonding. :)

i would bridge the plastic just to protect against the fact that the bonding ( after the plastic section ) could be disconnected at a later date either for repairs to be carried out or by a person who doesn't know better. The water in the pipe is capable of conducting electricity and therefore should be treated as such. I went to a property that had live pipes which turned out to be the pump in the dishwasher that was faulty and electrfied the water in the whole house !! Despite what the regs say you can never be too causious so i would bridge it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back